Hook, Line, & Sinker (zz top style)

r4m

All of the other songs I've posted here have been recorded via virtual amp.
I was told the amp tones were not very good. I agree.
This is my first crack at mic'ing my real amp. Comments, critque welcome.

Thanks for listening.

Hook, Line, & Sinker

Damn dude, guitars sound fricken fantastic!

Vox is a bit dry and too up front though.

What's the guitar chain? From Guitar->amp->mic->pre->conv

edit - just listened to "The Rock" - wow! - night and day difference on the guitar sound.

Last edited:
I agree with NL5 - push the vocals back with some reverb. Guitars sound fabulous - just like ZZTOP - which is supah fine by me.......

:D :) :D :)

Cool man, guitars and music actually kind of remind me a bit of early Van Halen. Maybe a ZZ Halen mix :D Anyway, cool rocking sound. I agree about the vox being a little dry and out of the mix. Other than that, nothing really to add other than I enjoyed this. Maybe a little more prescence to the lead guitar on the solo... volume and/or thickness. Good tune :cool: :cool:

Thanks for the replies.
Maybe it's my reverb that comes with my program (N-Track), but I have trouble with it sounding too reverby. Is there a formula for adding reverb?
I actually have some on, but it is a small bright room. I also put some reverb on the total mix.

What's the guitar chain? From Guitar->amp->mic->pre->conv

On this song I used PodXT Live into my effects loop in. My amp is a Crate V-Series 30 watt all tube. Bypass front end of amp. 2 mic's (one condeser and a cheap reg mic) Stuffed amp in closet with some foam padding. Actually this was kinda dumb. My amp got really hot! Need an isolation cab.
"The Rock" I just went into a Behringer V-amp direct to my multi-track recorder.
Although "The Rock" needed a mountain of gain to get the sustain I was wanting.

Nice TX Boogie but the voice is way too up front & needs some other plug in. There are a heap of free download plugins on the net.

Very good guitar tone and playing. The song's well arranged so it lets the guitar do its thing without a fight for space. I think the solo at 1:52 is getting upstaged sonically by the backing guitars since they sound so ballsy and have such a cool sounding rhythmic effect with the doubled part. I'd try a slight cut in the 300-600 range of the backing guitars with a wide bell filter - maybe 1 or 2 dB- just during the solo, and maybe a slight boost in that same range for the solo gtr line. All done so the composite guitar tone stays about the same for the listener but the emphasis switches to the lead guitar.

Tim

rayc & Timothy Lawler,
Thanks for the listen and the input. What is a wide bell filter?

Killer stuff.......no nits other than that which have been posted before....your style and genre sound just like a local fellow here. Where in ohio are you? You know a guy named Larry Whitt?

Everythings been stated already, sure does have a ZZTop groove to it, especially the solo-boogie on! ;)

great zz tones. even the squeel part in the solo...frkn great!

couldn't find the other song you mentioned in this thread?

Cripes! ZZ Top for sure. Great tones on this, you got the pinch harmonics and everything. The only suggestion I've got is to centre the vocal - on headphones they're skewed quite a bit toward the left. Otherwise good sounds and a nicely balanced mix. Top job

Thanks for the replies! :)

CoolCat,
Here is the other song that you mentioned:
The Rock

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

jpw23 wrote:Killer stuff.......no nits other than that which have been posted before....your style and genre sound just like a local fellow here. Where in ohio are you? You know a guy named Larry Whitt?

I am from Canton. Haven't heard of Larry Whitt.

Back