Hook It Up...

DD83

Hi. I posted this in another forum but maybe it belongs here. I've been trying to think of more efficient ways to route my gear so I decided to let you guys take a crack at it. Tell me how you would hook it up. Gear: RME Multiface 2 (8i/o interface) Eureka mic pre, Focusrite compressor, DBX subharmonic synth. OK that is my effect line etc. I also have 2 synths and a hardware sampler to hook up. Be advised I do have a Patchbay and Also a mackie big knob. So 3 effect units, 3 hardware modules into 8 ins and outs. This is all running into cubase sx 3 btw. Thanks.

Whatever works best for you is the most efficient setup. If you spend tons of time on rerouting your gear, it kind of works against being efficient.

yea, but when I have to constantly rearrange things to use them, time is also wasted...perhaps I should rephrase the question. With what I have is there a way to have all this always ready to go as in hooked up and available without having to plug/unplug things?

Yeah, use a separate in/out for each piece of hardware. Then you can just change the track's I/O to the piece of hardware you want. You can record it and then move onto the next thing.

so you have 6 things that need to run in? How many total devices do you need inputs for? If it's 8 or under, I'd just plug one in to input one, and have output 1 run to it, another into input 2 and have output 2 run to it...

That's how I have my stuff set up. I have 6 channels of preamps, and 2 compressors, so for now 8 in, 10 out works for me (2 out to monitors, and 8 outs for gear).

If you need more, I'd get a patchbay and figure out a way to make it work with what you have (run the outs from the bay to the 8 ins on your interface, and just switch cables as you need different pieces of gear). Or have one set up for tracking, and one for mixing.

Hard to say without knowing exactly what all you want in and out.

So the real problem is you need an interface with more I/O.
Hmmm, I was thinking that, but wasn't sure if there was something I just wasn't thinking about being that I have all these available ins/outs from my patchbay and big knob...
just plug one in to input one, and have output 1 run to it, another into input 2 and have output 2 run to it...
Never really considered running all of my out board MONO. Good point.
run the outs from the bay to the 8 ins on your interface, and just switch cables as you need different pieces of gear
I have a patchbay as stated in original post. I think this is what I was searching for. This seems to be the most logical/efficient method of making use of everything. But of course, getting something that can accommodate everything is always an option...Thanks rfahey86 and aaronmcoleman

Back