Honest advice needed.

Neito

Pouty-face
Okay, so to pre-empt this, I'm not a n00b to digital recording; just to the forums. I've had experience with studio recording a little bit, but most of my experience is in mixing and engineering, creating digital audio test CDs with pink noise and test tones, speaker frequency response analysis, some digital filter design, stuff like that. But that's just kind of my background to pre-empt this question:

I want to buy a Macintosh laptop with Logic Pro 7. But I know that I need some sort of interface for A/D conversion, and I can't for the life of me figure out what I need in order to bring in a signal so I can record it. I need at least 8 inputs (well, I would like 8 because I really want to experiment with mike placements and I'm very particular about drum recording). Of course, things like high headroom, very low noise, etc. are important. Money is not an obstacle; quality is. I want something that will sound professional on flat speakers, car stereos, headphones, everything. Something that will set me apart from other people when I say that I have it. Well, maybe not that extreme. But something that will sound great not only when I play it back the first time, but every time. It should also preferably be portable, but not so much that it comprimises sound quality. I know that's verbose, but I need to be satisfied in order to make an investment like this. Thanks a lot for your help, and any advice leaning for or against anything (even my choice of software or computer) is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks a lot.

I have yet to use the following products, but check out the Presonus Firepod, RME Fireface 800, and the MOTU line of products (especially the Traveler, being it is made for portablity). The latter 2 products are significantly more expensive than the Firepod, but many people seem to give the Firepod 2 thumbs; others will argue that the RME and MOTU have better AD converters. Regardless, the RME and MOTU definately seem better if you plan on using much outboard gear.

As far as making your end-product sound good on all systems, the monitor speakers and your mixing skill play more of a part in this than your input source's quality. Hope this helps.

www.bayviewproaudio.com

I think these guys can hook you up. ;) I got my Lynx2A from these guys and they had the lowest price at that time. Quick service too.

They use D-sub cables with balanced XLR I/O. Just patch your pres output into the channel of your choice and rock out.

I don't have an Aurora, but I have a Lynx2A and it is fast and clean. It uses the same D-sub scheme.

c7sus said:
www.bayviewproaudio.com

I think these guys can hook you up. ;) I got my Lynx2A from these guys and they had the lowest price at that time. Quick service too.

They use D-sub cables with balanced XLR I/O. Just patch your pres output into the channel of your choice and rock out.

I don't have an Aurora, but I have a Lynx2A and it is fast and clean. It uses the same D-sub scheme.

That site you posted has been by far the most helpful thing yet. Thanks a lot for your help!

dwillis45 said:
Metric Halo

Yeah, I was doing a little research on the internet yesterday and I found Metric Halo's new converter, but I haven't heard a lot about them... They're that good, huh?

Neito said:
Yeah, I was doing a little research on the internet yesterday and I found Metric Halo's new converter, but I haven't heard a lot about them... They're that good, huh?

Well, you said you were looking for something that "will set you apart from other a people." And something like the Mobile I/O 2880 will probably do that given that Metric Halo seems to have a very small share of the overall interface market. Everything I've read about the 2880 has been positive and if you can judge the product based on the price (appx. $1,500) it looks to be a quality device. Of course, it's much more than a converter. Like the RME fireface and the MOTU 828/896, it has preamps, a firewire connection, and other features, including a DSP option.

http://www.mhlabs.com/metric_halo/products/mio/

Back