Homemade Jecklin Disks

Adrian Lopez

Is there a tutorial for making your own Jecklin Disks at home? Also, is there a place where I can buy Jecklin Disks at low prices?

Good idea with the J-disc. It is my favorite technique for acoustic/classical music. I have 3 j-discs myself.

Adrian Lopez said:
Is there a tutorial for making your own Jecklin Disks at home? Also, is there a place where I can buy Jecklin Disks at low prices?

Thank you both very much for the links. Great info.

I found out about Jecklin Disks while trying to figure out whether flat omni mics could be used as stereo pairs. I'd like to use such a setup to record myself playing violin. I currently have a single MXL 990 but am not quite satisfied with it for violin recording (I think it's a little too bright). The Jecklin disk is the perfect solution for what I want.

The only flat mics I can afford are the ECM8000 and the Nady CM100. The biggest problem I can think of is that a pair of ECM8000s or CM100s might vary too much from unit to unit for good stereo recording. Being on a budget I have no other choice, but I wonder if it's worth doing at all considering the potential differences between two microphones of the same model.

I used DPA 4061s..they are about 600 a pair.great mics...

Adrian Lopez said:
Thank you both very much for the links. Great info.

I found out about Jecklin Disks while trying to figure out whether flat omni mics could be used as stereo pairs. I'd like to use such a setup to record myself playing violin. I currently have a single MXL 990 but am not quite satisfied with it for violin recording (I think it's a little too bright). The Jecklin disk is the perfect solution for what I want.

The only flat mics I can afford are the ECM8000 and the Nady CM100. The biggest problem I can think of is that a pair of ECM8000s or CM100s might vary too much from unit to unit for good stereo recording. Being on a budget I have no other choice, but I wonder if it's worth doing at all considering the potential differences between two microphones of the same model.

Back