homemade effects rack

What do you mean, something to hold a bunch of 19" rack mount boxes?

If that's what you mean, the simplest I know of, and what I've done, is just take two 2x2's x whatever height you want the thing to be, and use them on the right and left to screw devices into
(make sense :confused: ). I mount the heaviest thing in the bottom, and then start mounting things above that, leaving a space between each device. Mine is about 4' tall. I put a base with wheels on it, and the rest is completely open, which is optimal for heat dissipation. I mount outlet strips along the sides of the 2x2's with electrical ties.

Yes, I've made racks, both "built in" where it's part of the room structure and "upright" where I plop them on the floor and can move them around.

Racks as part of the room structure (with the countertop became a standing producer's desk)

studio-0122.JPG

studio-0123.JPG

studio-0127.JPG

And a rack that's not attached to anything and can be moved, though with 33U of heavy recorders, hard drives, and amplifiers, ya ain't moving it. I made it wide, deep, but not tall so it fits under my studio desk. I was running out of space to put/make racks so I had to start eating up my legroom :)

I bought the rack rails from a supplier on ebay fairly inexpensively, and used them in both places, by bolting them through a piece of wood as you can see in both rack types, above and below this text.

studio2.jpg

In case you're interested, I also made an open-frame studio desk, with adjustable "feet" sticking upwards so I could place non-rackmount equipment like mixing consoles across the width and adjust the height. Being open frame, there's no shortage of room for wiring and nothing blocking their paths. Plus, it was an excuse to rid myself of tons of scrap steel I've been collecting for years.

studio1.jpg

:spank:holy crap. thanks guys.

i dont have any racks yet but was just curious. going to be getting a new interface and maybe a 31 band eq....cuz i like fiddlin with the sliders as opposed to my plugins.

Back