home to pittsburgh

nomsans

I am an amatuer singer songwriter from pittsburgh, pa.
i am attempting to record my first album all by myself.
this is the first song. i really dont know wh or what to compare it to...
here is the link:

http://www.701studios.com/music/hometopittsburgh.html

it is called 'home to pittsburgh' or the 'pittsburgh song'. i recorded it with nothing more than my computer and a mic. i am very interested in hearing what other peopel think. (about the song, the mix, the instruments etc...)

by the way...i love this website.

-joseph st.esprit

[disclaimer-listening on shitty headphones]

I'm hearing some distortion and a few pops here and there. The song itself is interesting and has a unique sound to it. Reminds me of Travis. It just seems a bit too muddy in spots -the vocals in particular. I'd pull some of the fx back on the vocals. and maybe fiddle around with the EQ to try to get some more clarity. I also think some proper dynamic control (compression) could help smooth things out better.

Anyway, I know that wasn't much help, but I think it's got promise, but could stand to be cleaned up. The sizzly, crispy distortion was distracting to me.
Nice singing, though, and cool melody.

thx i really appreciate your feedback! i wish i knew more of the technical side of recording...i dont really understand filters, eq, dynamic control, or compression or what they are or do. is there a tutorial or soemthing on the subject? i tried browsing the posts on here...but they are all kinda technical with proper recording terminologies and lingo. maybe i should look around for a tutorial or soemthin on here explaioning everything to me...i am not a noob. ive been r ecordig for some years...i just do it the 'poor man's way' with nothing but a computer and a mic.

well i iwll go look around for that tutorial.

thx for yoru compliments too btw.

-joe

I like the song, I am in Pittsburgh quite often:cool:

It needs more panning, right now everything is in one spot. Too many things are fighting in the mid frequency ranges. Its too wet- too much reverb.

Its a nice attempt and good performance.:)

Good writing, very tasty melody. Singing/playing is great. I think you're doing pretty good so far. I'm not sure what to recommend here - the production is only limited by your resources right now.

:D:):D:)

Apart from the cheesie synths this has top value lo fi charm clipping et al.
I can't warm to a spirit of place pean to something as far removed as P'burgh though.
Re do the synths! Or, better still, find a friend with a viola or 'cello to play that line for you.
Has a late beatle feel - or rather post beatle beatle feel.
I'm Coming Home to Cabramatta? Nah, doesn't work either.
You could trash the lyric, retain the meoldy and accompaniment and write a new set.

Rewrite: I'm coming Home to Natchitoches...

listening as I type:

1. nice beginning...I'd like to hear that ride swing more.
2. Beatles...nice...
3. every thing's up the gut. pan and spread those instruments out sir.
4. are those real drums? that snare sounds nice. i'd like to hear it just a tad more
5. Seriously...Pittsburgh?
6. nice harmonies! and that Ride is swinging now!!!
7. Not a big fan of the number of crashes you're throwing in there, but that's a personal opinion (which is always aligned with the truth...)
8. Seriously...Pittsburgh? how about another city...Akron maybe...Kennebunkport...something, anything but Pittsburgh.
9. Distortion and clipping comments above were spot on.
10. Friends in Pittsburgh? I doubt it. Everyone hates you there. or so I've heard. What do I know, I'm from Kansas.

just kidding. This is a very very nice song. if this is your first effort at recording, then you've got the knack for it, and I'm sure you'll learn quickly. Keep on this site, lots of guys know what they're doing here...

I can't warm to a spirit of place pean to something as far removed as P'burgh though.I'm Coming Home to Cabramatta? Nah, doesn't work either.
You could trash the lyric, retain the meoldy and accompaniment and write a new set.

pittsburgh4.jpg

no other city is like pittsburgh. pittsburgh is one of america's most beautiful cities.

listening as I type:
5. Seriously...Pittsburgh?
8. Seriously...Pittsburgh? how about another city...Akron maybe...Kennebunkport...something, anything but Pittsburgh.
10. Friends in Pittsburgh? I doubt it. Everyone hates you there. or so I've heard. What do I know, I'm from Kansas.

just kidding. ...

This is Pittsburgh:
pncpark.jpg

pittsburgh_pa_local.jpg

pittsburgh-at-night.jpg

pittpan2-715796.jpg

trianglenight.JPG

This is Akron:

L_DOWNTOWN.jpg

DSC_2781.jpg

98a.gif

ANY QUESTIONS?
lol

Nice!

Those pictures may be a bit biased as they are different because of when they were taken and by what. Either way, I think your argument takes it.

As for your song..

If this is really your first time ... Very well done. Your performance is very very good. The vocals came out just right for me. Reminds me of the beatles like rayc and elcholo said. Has that like kind of creepy slow tempo. I like the climax and everything. I would take some of the effects off of the vocals along with that distortion when you're belting. Try and spread things out a little more like davidk said. Some things got clumped up somewhere in there. Sometimes you can make individual things sound thinner for the sake of the mix because it will give it its own place instead of just cluttering more.

Very well done though. Keep recording that album!:)

Back