home studio setup

KCandies

I'm trying to get my home studio up and running. Right now I have a dell with a pentium 4 and 60 gig hardrive. I'm running xp and am waiting on Cakewalk home studio xl to arrive. For now I only plan on recording vocalist over an accompanyment track played into the software. What should I get as far as mics and mic preamps, monitors that sort of thing. Any advice welcome.

Look into studio vocal mics. plan on spending about $500-$700 for a great quality mic.
Monitors depends on how much sound you want. You can get small ones that do a descent job...like the m-audio studiophiles or a step up to larger ones like V8's.
Active or passive ?? Depends on your preference.
Look at spending $300-$1000

I think the first question is what quality/production of result you want to achieve. If this for fun, for demos, or do you plan to sell a CD product that results?

A single $100 mic and a sound card interface will get you pretty good results with no other costs. IT goes up from there based on what else you want to do.

Another option is a small digital recorder like a Fostex MR8 (about $300) and the same $100 mic.

Ed

The best $500 beginner setup I can think of:

Sound Card: M-Audio Audiophile ($150).
Large Condenser mics: SP B1, or Marshall V67 ($80-$90).
Small Condenser mics: 2 Octava MC012 or two Marshall MLX 603s ($150) for stereo micing--or you can get by with one at first and pair it with your LD mic for stereo.
Dual mic pre: M-Audio DMP3 ($150).

Get good cables, or make your own.

And if you already have a computer, use it. It is far superior to any budget digital recorder.

thanks

Hey guys thanks for all the info. In reference to what kind of quality I'm looking to make demos for vocalist who don't have access to bands. So basically good enough for them to give to somebody to judge how well they sound. So if that helps keep the advice coming. thanks again

One real plus to the small digital recorder approach is mobility. You can easily carry it somewhere and record. Then bring back and mix and burn on PC.

Lower cost digital recorders like the MR8 still have CD quality fidelity, but just fewer features. Based on your stated objective, I believe most of them would be well suited to your needs.

Ed

leglesseye said:
I'd rather pleasure myself with a cheese grater than use a Marshall MLX 603

No one else around here seems to have a problem with the 603s. In fact, it is highly respected for its price/performance--especially on acoustic instruments. Is there some other SD mic in that price range (other than the MC012) that you would suggest?

Wait, lemme guess, the AKG C1000?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back