Home Studio Set Up

meseleto

Hello everyone,

I wanted to see if I could get some feedback about my proposed studio set up before I wasted a lot of time/money. I currently have the desktop, microphone & headphones. I am working w/ a mixer but due to the research I have done and some of the suggestions from people on this forum, I'm upgrading that ASAP.

It will be purely for recording vocals. I would say 80% rap & 20% r&b.

Desktop Windows XP (Low RAM)
Mxl 990 Microphone
Focusrite Saffire 6 USB Audio Interface
Auralex MudGuard Microphone Isolator
Audio-Technica ATHM40FS Precision Studio Headphones
KRK RP5G2 Rokit G2 5In Powered Studio Monitors
Software: I have been jumping around a lot, recently leaving FL Studio Producer's Edition b/c I kept getting a strange buzz/clap sound in the background I couldn't get rid of. Now I'm on Mixcraft 6.0 which I like because it is much more user-friendly. I plan on upgrading the software as soon as I can upgrade my computer.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Pop filter
Mic stand

How much RAM do you have? You can get away with as little as 2G, but more is better.

Pop filter
Mic stand

including Mike's two suggestions i'd say you've got everything there to get good results and keep you going.

A RAM/computer upgrade may be well worthwhile, especially as newer software is becoming less compatible with windows XP

in terms of software, it really does just come down to what you find easiest to use. if mix craft works for you then stick with it :D

the free plugins that come with the focusrite saffire are pretty nice; super simple to use and i've found them to be better than most of the stock plugins that come with DAW's

the only thing i'd add to the list is possibly a sub for the monitors, especially if you're doing rap or anything beat and bass heavy. the Rokits get great reviews but because the speakers are only 5 inch drivers they don't go down to the real low frequencies that you find in "thumping" kicks and "phât" bass lines

Oh I forgot to include the pop filter/microphone stand. I have both of them so that's good!

I think my RAM is only 1 GB but it is a desktop and it should have some slots available to expand it. I will check the specs and order some because things do get a little slow sometimes. I know that it does not have enough RAM to run Pro Tools 8 LE.

I will read up on the Rokits because that is a good point about the heavy bass. Do you think it would be okay to downgrade the monitor speakers? I could save almost $200 by getting a pair of M-Audio Studiophile AV40 Powered Monitor Speakers. It would also free up some money to get those subs.

I wouldn't be buying a sub if you're relatively new to mixing... I'd be buying monitors with larger drivers that will get you decent bass response, rather than trying to mix on 5" drivers and a sub. At least until you learn to mix, assuming you're relatively new at this..

YMMV :)

Back