Home studio, help please!!!!!!!!1

Quinny

Hi chaps, my first message here!! Looks like you're all well knowledgable about this so I hope you can help.
I want to write, and record tunes at home. The type of tune I want to do is initially rock/pop. But I also want to be able to have access to other sounds and manipulate them if needs be. My main concern is getting drum tracks down. I'm not a drummer but I can do the job well enough for now but can't afford thelikes of a V-DRUM set. I want to know how to get a good drum track down then work on top of it.
Now, I know I need a recorder, I have been looking at a roland or a fostex digital 8-track. I know I need FX, I have a lot of 'em!!!! What I want to know is do I need a sampler and sequencer?? I know I don't want a PC as my set-up, I'd like to keep it as 'outboard' as possible. Maybe one day I'll get into Reason and the like, I may not have a choice eventually!!!
I've heard a lot of tak about getting an all in one or a controller/rack option. Keeping things separate appeals a lot more to me. So maybe a sampler/sequencer/mixer/recorder/fx??
Please advise........ I have all the mics,guitars,bass,vocals,mics needed but need to know about the rest. Below a budget of $3000 would be good too!!!
PLEASE HELP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like, for your budget, you'd be best of with the purchase of some samplers and a sequencing / recording system like for instance Cubase VST

Thanks for getting back to me fellas!
I have plenty recording experiencemyself, having recorded in a dozen or so studios in the U.K. I have no problems whatsoever with the concept of what I'm trying to do.
My problem is hat I was always in a band with a real drummer so I've never been faced with having to put down drum tracks myself using sound modules. Plus, things like sampling and sequencing were always done by our tech so that's kinda a new area to me too.
I get the idea of sampling, whether or not to get a stand alone sampler (upgraded AKAI S2000?) or a keyboard with one included (Korg?) is a different question.
Sequencing on the other hand,I know nothing about!!!!!!!
FX wise I am sorted, I have lots of gear, know how to use it well and am very happy with itmost of all!!!
So what do you reckon chaps??? What exactly is Cubase VST??? Do you know where I could finf info on it????
Many thanks once again, this is a great help!!!!!!!
Niall.

Quinny

Im not a drummer also, I use Fruity Loops software. I think its awesome for drums. Even better for synth samples though.

For the full version which can be bought online is $100.00. I have found some pretty good sounding real drum samples that I can use with it.

What I have is the Fruity software and an AKaiDPS16. I run a cheap AWE64 soundcard in my computer. I just run the output of the soundcard into an input on the akai.

I have a song that is all FLoops if you want to here it, I just put in on the web today.

www.mp3.com/sondriven

feel free to email me with any questions regarding the software

Im still waiting on mp3.com to activate my web page, its suppost to only take a few hours, I guess not. If anyone finally gets to hear it let me know if it sucks or not. LaTER

sondriven

sampler: ensoniq asr-x pro

i've got an ensoniq asr-x pro ($1100) and a roland sc880 ($600 i think) sound canvas. together, I've got all the drum and keyboard sounds i need. i wouldn't mind having a kurzweil instead of the roland, but for the money, i'm in good shape.

Hi fellas!! So far, the story's like this. For sounds I'm going for a Roland 1080, with a midi controller keyboard. For sampling it's proabably gonna be an AKAI S2000 upgraded or a 3000. Multitrack-wise it's either a fostex VF08 or a Roland 8 track. I may also order the full version of Fruity Loops as I find it SO easy to use and the sounds are pretty neat too!
Sequesncing wise I'm still not to sure but maybe a version of cubase on an Atari ST would do the trick... dunno yet, but getting there slowly!!!!
Does this seem like a reasonable setup to y'all?? If it turns out to do the job I'm after then I hope to have it all up and running real soon.
Cheers ta ya all!
Quinny.

The digital 8-tracks usually have mediocre A/D converters in my experience (bad thing), and you're likely to outgrow it in no time. ADAT, PC, or a 16 or 24 track standalone would be a better choice in the long run. There are pros and cons to each of those choices.

I'd get a good recording medium first and worry about the other pieces later. I know, you want to jump in and get everything all at once... but trust me, you'll end up cutting corners that way. Spend the cash on a good recording set-up and learn how to use it. When you get good and comfortable with it you'll probably have saved up enough for a sampler or other toys.

Back