Home studio charge?

dboyer87

Alright,

Me and a friend of mine both have been in music for a while, and we've bought a ton of equipment for our own personal use. Some decent stuff like presonus 8 I/O, and M500 speakers. Well we're in college and really don't feel like working the 9-5 this summer so we're thinking about opening a studio with all of our equipment.

Now, he's a tech major, and is about to be done so he's very good, and I'm pretty handy myself. The only thing is, is that this studio will be in a room in my house, which I know is very unprofessional. We're thinking about charging 40 bucks and hour but I'm worried that if that's to high since it is still just a home studio, although i know the sound will be good.

Any suggestions?

40 bucks an hours is ridiculous for a bedroom studio. we have one of Canada's largest recording studios in town and they go for $30 and hour. i would suggest $10 an hour. at MOST. unless you can pull off some absolutely mind blowing sounds with some "O.K." gear and a bedroom.

40 bucks an hours is ridiculous for a bedroom studio. we have one of Canada's largest recording studios in town and they go for $30 and hour. i would suggest $10 an hour. at MOST. unless you can pull off some absolutely mind blowing sounds with some "O.K." gear and a bedroom.

Well that's kind of odd, because I live in Atlanta, and there isn't a studio around that charges under 100 an hour.

I get what your saying, but the amount of work that goes into working on these songs is not worth him and I splitting 10 bucks an hour.

We're kinda camparing our rates to other home studio in Atlanta.

Well that's kind of odd, because I live in Atlanta, and there isn't a studio around that charges under 100 an hour.

I get what your saying, but the amount of work that goes into working on these songs is not worth him and I splitting 10 bucks an hour.

We're kinda camparing our rates to other home studio in Atlanta.

very odd, hmm well best of luck.

Heres a different approach, you could charge by song, there are a couple guys who own home studios in my area who charge by song, between 150 and 200 dollars a song, recorded and mixed.

Heres a different approach, you could charge by song, there are a couple guys who own home studios in my area who charge by song, between 150 and 200 dollars a song, recorded and mixed.

That is something we discussed and I think it is a better idea because it offers a lot of flexibility. I appreciate the input.

that's actually exactly what i do here lol 100$ a song. it keeps a ton of people coming in and a ton of people away from the competition lol

I like the barter system. Every band has a few pieces of equipment laying around. I throw it on EBAY for them and they look at it as a free session.

When I charge at all, it's usually to cover or recoup expenses. So I will quote a price for a project and spend whatever time I have to in order to get the project done. My recording is pretty much linked with the live sound work I do, so I'm usually recording in the field and doing post production work in my project studio; the studio location is not an issue.

As an example, I'm doing sound reinforcement and tracking for a gospel choir / band for two concerts in separate venues, consecutive nights. $800. What do they get for that? I attend at least two rehearsals; set up monitors for a 65 member choir and full band at the second rehearsal so I can evaluate what works and they learn what monitors sound like; load in, out and set up for concerts in two towns; mic and monitor a full band so they can keep the stage volume down (guitar, bass, horns, keyboards, drumkit, percussion); set up PZM mics and a boom with an ORTF arrangement for the choir, set up mic and monitor for the soloist, set up a Passport system as side fill monitors for the choir, route about 12 channels through my main console; set up two monitor mixes, run mains to Mackie SRM450 cabs, and track four blended tracks on my DPS16. I spent about a thousand bucks on gear for this (Crown monitor amp, Passport PD250 plus PA for the sidefills, big frigging mic boom) so when all is said and done, it'll only cost me a couple hundred.

Now before you ask how I can make any money like this, understand that I make it up in volume. :D

When I charge at all, it's usually to cover or recoup expenses. So I will quote a price for a project and spend whatever time I have to in order to get the project done. My recording is pretty much linked with the live sound work I do, so I'm usually recording in the field and doing post production work in my project studio; the studio location is not an issue.

As an example, I'm doing sound reinforcement and tracking for a gospel choir / band for two concerts in separate venues, consecutive nights. $800. What do they get for that? I attend at least two rehearsals; set up monitors for a 65 member choir and full band at the second rehearsal so I can evaluate what works and they learn what monitors sound like; load in, out and set up for concerts in two towns; mic and monitor a full band so they can keep the stage volume down (guitar, bass, horns, keyboards, drumkit, percussion); set up PZM mics and a boom with an ORTF arrangement for the choir, set up mic and monitor for the soloist, set up a Passport system as side fill monitors for the choir, route about 12 channels through my main console; set up two monitor mixes, run mains to Mackie SRM450 cabs, and track four blended tracks on my DPS16. I spent about a thousand bucks on gear for this (Crown monitor amp, Passport PD250 plus PA for the sidefills, big frigging mic boom) so when all is said and done, it'll only cost me a couple hundred.

Now before you ask how I can make any money like this, understand that I make it up in volume. :D

So....what exactly is your suggestion?

Quote by the song or project and place your prices to recoup expenses at first. Go to an hourly rate only after you have a stable of product to show.

Yeah, I know we're gonna need some music to show off. So that is def something to think about.

Maybe you could record a couple of songs for a couple of bands for free, then you would have an example of your work. If it's good enough, people will want to use you, and the bands will hopefully spread the word for you.

It´s not about the gear, it´s about how good you are and how good sounds your work...

I bet Mr. Lanois could charge anything he wants to record in his basemet with a portastudio... Many people would kill for an opportunity like that...

Upload some of your best work on myspace or something like that, and if it sounds good, you´ll have clients...

Piece of cake. :D

I'm gonna shoot you straight, here.

You are entering a crowded field, with "a bunch of (unspecified) gear," a "tech" degree (again, unspecified, but I suspect computer-related, not recording), a "studio" that is actually one room, NO reputation, NO client list, NO references, no real business plan, NO contacts in the industry, pulled-from-thin-air pricing structure, etc. etc ad infinitum. Basically, there is ZERO reason ANYONE would pay you money.

Most of the quoted rates of home studios in Atlanta are from a bunch of yahoos that the two of you would be indistinguisable from, by anyone other than your own mothers. I assure you, they all are as clueless as you two as to how to run a professional studio as a profitable, going concern. Those guys are making more money slinging burgers at Mickie D's than they will EVER make as a "producer."

Recording is a business like any other, and a MUSIC business like all other music businesses- you need to pay your dues, learn the ropes, make contacts and work your ass off for YEARS before anybody except those just a little more stupid than you will pay you money to "produce" their demo- and from reading your post, it is obvious that such people will be VERY hard to find.

Before the end of June, you will be facing eviction from your house, and working on your pitch to Daddy for a bail-out. If he is smart, he will tell you to sell the gear before you come whining to him for money.

Lots of luck, kid. You want a suggestion? Get a f**kin' job.

Oh, and I am in Atlanta, and am very close to someone who HAS worked his ass off for this, so I know what I am talking about.

Last edited:
That was a little on the harsh side. :)

I understand the point, but still a little harsh.

Do what you feel you can do. Do what you want to do.

Who knows what will happen? I probably would have some sort of alternate plan for extra income, because I'm sure it would be hard to collect enough for rent every month when you are just starting out.

But if you guys are on a college break, it may be a good time to learn how to run a studio for profit, even if you don't make tons in the beginning.

Good luck with whatever you choose. If you are dedicated, and work hard, there is always hope. Although, I don't think it was ever easy for anyone to start a studio, or any business from scratch, for that matter.

i agree while you shouldnt count on it for your primary source of income i see no reason why you cant do it on the side maybe work part time and put the rest of your time into your studio. also if either of you are musicians teaching lessons in addition to recording is also an option, you can charge 15-20 dollars for a half hour lesson easily,

Back