Home stereo speakers

ambi

I know this board isn't for home stereo, but i thought i'd ask for some opinions here anyways. I've seen it done...

I'm looking at a pair of the Paradigm Monitor 3 speakers, or the B&W 601's.

The monitor 3's have an 8 inch woofer, and the b&w's only have a 6.5. PLUS the monitor 3's are about 100 dollars cheaper Canadian.

I think because they are made in Canada maybe we get them cheaper?

Well we're going to listen to them in a few minutes, but from the specs it seems like the Paradigms are a better value. Any insight into this? Are there any problems with either of these models i should be aware of?

It's just for listening to music BTW, not mixing or monitoring, but they could double as a second reference for that...

Thanks!

One of the main reason for the big price difference is probably the weakness of the Canadian dollar. It makes it more expensive to import foreign products... like B&W speakers from England.

The specs will tell you very little about the sound quality other than the obvious fact that the Paradigms have more bass, since they have a larger woofer.

All things being equal, however, larger woofers have inferior midrange performance. I think you'll find the Paradigms will have more bass, but the B&W's will sound much more transparent and detailed.

Thomas

http://barefootsound.com

barefoot said:
All things being equal, however, larger woofers have inferior midrange performance.
Oh and I guess I forgot to mention that all things are clearly not equal. The B&W is just an all around better speaker... better design, better construction, better sound... better everything.

Thomas

Wow, B&W is better than Paradigm?
I hear you about the " All things being equal, however, larger woofers have inferior midrange performance."

I have Event PS8's, and the mids are kinda scooped ? Guess coming from using the squackers of Klipsch Heresey's as Home stereo,its confusing. But I am getting used to the difference. It definately is taking some time to get them to transfer on mixes.

T

barefoot said:
Oh and I guess I forgot to mention that all things are clearly not equal. The B&W is just an all around better speaker... better design, better construction, better sound... better everything.

Thomas

just got back from listening.
The paradigms were god aweful compared to the b&w's.

Even though they have a small woofer the bass is tighter and more accurate on the b&w's, the mid range is really nice and silky. The high end sounds a bit shrill and exadurated on the paradigms. The b&W's are so much better it isn't funny.

Barefoot's right again!

Listened through a NAD integrated amp and a NAD cd player.

the amp retailed for about 600-650 canadian, and the cd player for about 700.
Speakers were 650.
But he'd give the speakers for 550, the amp for 525, and the cd deck for 650.

Bi wiring made a huge difference, i wonder what bi amping would sound like...

Back