Home Session Setup Questions

cows

Hey,

I have recorded for my band (home recording with multi-tracking through computer software), but have a few questions about a project we're doing.

We want to set up so that we can jam/practice and record decent quality for all of our instruments simultaneously. I'm thinking I'll mic everything the way i did when I recorded each instrument in isolation (sm57s on the guitar/bass amps, bass drum, snare), run each instrument/mic through a mixer, and record as one track on the computer.

Specific questions: 1) placement - is this just going to sound like shit all in one room? 2) should I use a condenser mic above everything? 3) Should I run vocals direct out from our PA to the mixer?

If you have any ideas (tips, tricks, tweaks) at all on this kind of set up, feel free to offer.

I regularly record the way you describe. It doesn't *have* to sound bad, but alot of it has to do with how well you've treated the acoustics of your room and also you method for recording.

In my case, I have a Soundcraft M8, which is an 8 channel mixer which has direct outputs on all 8 channels. So, the mixer feeds the PA and the direct outs fed inputs on a 1010lt soundcard. So, I'm not taking a stereo feed, I'm still multitracking.

Your best option is going to depend on what gear you already have... So, um, what gear do you already have. :p

Amps and drum's bass&snare get sm57s

Vocals are on a range of mics, all dynamic sm58ish

Our condenser is (i believe) an MXL 9000

There is a crate 8 channel PA (an ancient thing) that we use for vocals w/PA speakers when we normally practice, but I think im going to give us monitor headphones and go into the mixer to avoid dealing with volume vs feedback issues in the small space.

The mixer is a Behringer eurotrack ub1204

We go into an interface, which I don't know the brand or anything because it's a friend's, but it has be OK in the past, not top of the line.

How many channels is that interface? 2 channel? 8 channel?

Does that old PA have inserts on each channel?

If you have an 8 channel interface, then I think we can figure ways to get as many seperate signals as possible into your computer, to give you the most flexibility when it comes to mixing...

put the guitar and bass cabs and mic them there and use personal monitoring systems. that way the drums will be isolated from everything else. and you can record vocals there too, and later redo them separately if you so desire.

Back