Home Recording Setup

SuperJunior

What do you think of this? I'll be using it to record everything you can think of apart from drums (probably).

Tascam US-122
Cakewalk Home Studio 2004
Behringer V-Amp Pro

My PC has the following:
Pentium 4 1.8Ghz
60gb Hard Drive
256mbs of RAM
Windows XP

What do you think? Any problems? I'm probably gonna order this in a week.

Thanks
Joe

SuperJunior said:
What do you think of this? I'll be using it to record everything you can think of apart from drums (probably).

Tascam US-122
Cakewalk Home Studio 2004
Behringer V-Amp Pro

My PC has the following:
Pentium 4 1.8Ghz
60gb Hard Drive
256mbs of RAM
Windows XP

What do you think? Any problems? I'm probably gonna order this in a week.

Thanks
Joe

You will probably want more RAM. I consider 512mb the minimum.

I do not feel the Tascam is a good choice for home-based PC recording (It is more suited to mobile recording). IMO you are much better off with a PCI sound card like the M-Audio Audiophile ($149) and the M-Audio DMP3 preamp ($149). The Audiophile is a great bargain and has the same converters as M-Audio's Delta 44 and Delta 66. The DMP3 is based on the Burr Brown INA163 chip and competes with preamps costing much more. The additional $100 you spend on quality AD/DA converters and the preamp are well worth it. I doubt the Tascam is anywhere in the league sonically.

Even if you choose a different soundcard and preamp than the M-Audio stuff, it is a better, more high quality way to go IMO.

Okay, so I checked out the stuff you mentioned.
What about the M-Audio Duo USB? Connects by USB and has 1/4" and XLR inputs w/ Phantom Power so I could use it with guitar and microphones when I come to doing vocals or mic'ing acoustic guitar.
If not that, how about the M-Audio Audiophile USB? I'm really looking for something I can use for all kinds of inputs but it doesn't have to have many of them (I'll be using everything from guitars to keyboards and decks, but I won't ever be mic'ing a drumkit with this setup).

Thanks for the help.
Joe

P.S Also, what do you think of the Cakewalk sequencer? A friend of mine suggested it as he said it was particularly good. He also mentioned Cubase SX but that's way out of my budget (£400 GP btw).

EDIT: I totally forgot to mention that I really want at least 1 midi in + out so I can connect the V-amp to the PC for the editing software and use my keyboard with the PC (not at the same time)

The above mentioned M-Audio 2496 PCI soundcard has MIDI I/O and SPDIF as well as analog I/O.

I'm sure some people have gotten a USB setup to work, but for others it has been a nightmare.

Cakewalk is great. Sonar3, their newest, is a sweet, powerful program.

SuperJunior said:
Okay, so I checked out the stuff you mentioned.
What about the M-Audio Duo USB? Connects by USB and has 1/4" and XLR inputs w/ Phantom Power so I could use it with guitar and microphones when I come to doing vocals or mic'ing acoustic guitar.
If not that, how about the M-Audio Audiophile USB? I'm really looking for something I can use for all kinds of inputs but it doesn't have to have many of them (I'll be using everything from guitars to keyboards and decks, but I won't ever be mic'ing a drumkit with this setup).

Thanks for the help.
Joe

P.S Also, what do you think of the Cakewalk sequencer? A friend of mine suggested it as he said it was particularly good. He also mentioned Cubase SX but that's way out of my budget (£400 GP btw).

EDIT: I totally forgot to mention that I really want at least 1 midi in + out so I can connect the V-amp to the PC for the editing software and use my keyboard with the PC (not at the same time)

I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. It's not Tascam I don't recommend, it's USB. USB is fine for a mobile recording setup, but for a home recording setup and for just a little more money...

IMO a dedicated PCI sound card and dedicated preamp will give you much higher quality AD/DA converters and preamps than a USB "all-in-one" device...

For example, The Digidesign M-Box cost $500, and I seriously doubt it has as good of converters as the Audiophile or anywhere near as good of preamps as the DMP-3. So what do you expect from a $200 "all-in-one" box? IMO you should forget USB for home recording. Period.

As Ibrow mentioned, the Audiophile 2496 PCI soundcard has two analog "line" I/O, and it also has MIDI I/O and SPDIF. So there ya go.

As far as software, I use Cakewalk Sonar 2.0 and love it. But Cakewalk makes less expensive recording/sequencing software like Home Studio ($90) or Music Creator ($30).

Shop around for the best prices.

Okay, thanks, USB is out of the question.
So how hard is it to install a PCI sound card (physically, not software wise) and where does it fit?

I checked prices of everything (Audiophile PCI, DMP3, Cakewalk HS 2004 and V-Amp or similar) and I can't afford the DMP3 on top of everything else right now. Could I still record direct into the Audiophile through the V-Amp?

Thanks again
Joe

EDIT: Wow, just checked out the M-Audio Delta 1010LT. 10ins and Outs, including 2 Mic Preamps (so no need for separate preamps). My guitar teacher suggested I look for a Pro Tools Digi 001 (now d/c) because of the multiple ins and outs but the Delta1010LT has even more and is cheaper! Analogue, XLR, Digital, Midi, it has everything I need. 1 question though...
IS IT ANY GOOD?

Last edited:
I think the Delta 1010LT has the same converters as the Audiophile, which are excellent. The 1010LT does have preamps (they will not be anywhere as good as the DMP3), but the 1010LT doesn't have phantom power so unfortunately it won't work with condenser mics. If you can find it cheaper than the Audiophile it is a good deal, but I still highly recommend the DMP3 as a preamp. For $149 it is one of the best bang-for-the-buck recording investments you will ever make.

You will be able to record the guitar direct from the V-amp to the soundcard--no preamp needed for that.

The Digi-001 has been discontinued and was way overpriced anyway for what you get. I would never own one.

These are only my opinions, of course.

Dammit, just noticed that. It's just because I can't fit the preamp with everything else into my budget (my parents are giving me a lot of money, I can't really ask for more).
In the UK, the pricing is as follows:

M-Audio Audiophile 2496 = £110
M-Audio DMP3 = £175
Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 = £100
Behringer V-Amp = £100

Plus I need converters for the Audiophile inputs for 1/4" jacks and Midi Cables for the editing software on my V-Amp.
Any solutions (cheaper preamps or whatever)

Thanks again,
Joe

You COULD find a cheaper sound card or preamp, but I wouldn't. These two are fabulous for the money. You will not outgrow them for a long time. If you buy a cheap sound card or preamp you will soon outgrow them and end up buying again anyway.

My suggestions:

1. The V-Amp has the same sounds as the V-amp Pro. It is just a desktop unit instead of rack mountable. In the US it is $70 cheaper. I don't know if it has all the connections you want, though, but it may.

2. Cakewalk Music Creator will do everything you need, I think, and it is considerably less than Home Studio. Also, once you are a registerd Cakewalk user they occasionally offer specials on upgrades. For example, I had bought Plasma on special (after rebate I only paid $10). Then, Cakewalk had a special offer (for registered Cakewalk users only) for Sonar 2.0 for only $149. So my patience paid off.

You might also go to www.downloads.com and try to find some free recording software until you can afford something better.

3. The DMP3 also has two instrument DIs, so you CAN use it to record "clean" guitar until you can afford the V-Amp.

4. Try to earn some extra money to supplement what your parents are giving you. Or negotiate with them. Is there something you can do for them to earn some extra cash? Showing a willingness to work for something you want may be rewarded.

Good Luck.

Can you recommend any free recording software? I'm not too bothered about that just now because I can replace it later. That way I can get everything else.

Thanks a lot, you've been really helpful :D

Joe

Great, if these are any good I can get the Audiophile, DMP3 and V-Amp and save for recording software later.
Thanks for everything!
Oh yea, I just got some even better news last night, I might be getting my own PC for recording with! My parents are nice people!

Joe

Woohoo! I went ahead and ordered the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI and the DMP3 preamp AND a Behringer V-Amp 2! Currently using free software but I can get Cakewalk Music Creator in a month from my pocket money :>

Thanks for the help!

Joe

Back