Home Recording Market Size

Simmons

Does anyone have an idea of the size of the “home-recording” market in the US? I get the feeling it’s growing fast. I suppose I could look at the sales of the major players in the audio software market (Cubase, Logic, Cakewalk, etc)….maybe the number of audio interfaces sold, but I don’t think that would be a very accurate number. Any ideas or leads on real marketing data?

That probaly would be a good start (to look at sales records that is). Also, the number of peaple on this site is certainly a good clue.

Simmons said:
Does anyone have an idea of the size of the “home-recording” market in the US? I get the feeling it’s growing fast. I suppose I could look at the sales of the major players in the audio software market (Cubase, Logic, Cakewalk, etc)….maybe the number of audio interfaces sold, but I don’t think that would be a very accurate number. Any ideas or leads on real marketing data?

Standard Rate and Data Service will have this info. www.srds.com is the site, but you may be able to find a pretty recent copy on Ebay.

The Nat'l Assoc of Music Merchants (NAMM) has that kind of info. Their current reports are for members only but last year's report is downloadable by anyone. It has extensive information.

http://www.namm.com/musicusa/

The 2004 report covered sales data for 2003 and has graphs of revenue by categories. I've attached a fuzzy copy. Recording gear is included in several different categories. During that year computer music products were the fastest growing category by far, at 29% over '02.

Tim

Last edited:
Back