Home Recording Help

~Martyn~

Hi,

I'm interested in starting to do some home recording (literally starting from scratch here) and was wondering which way would be best or at least a good way to go about things.

I'm going to be recording my guitar through my Marshall DSL100 head although i can't really use the amp too loud at mine. (I record elsewhere where i can have it as loud as needed)

My main queries are - When i'm at home and can't use the amp to it's full potential but want to record, what kind of setup should i use?

I was thinking of just going direct from the amp to my laptop using a 1/4 > 1/8 jack and then mix it with some software. Is this any good? and if so - what software should i get?

If this is an ok way then i'll do that but if it's reeeally crap then i'll start looking at mics to go through instead of straight into the laptop.

Any help is useful. :)

Hi Martyn,

You have 2 choices for recording: PC or freestanding recorder.

Initially, you can try recording into your PC using free software like Audacity, just to see how you like the process, but your PC soundcard will be the first limitation. But it is a beginning.

With a free-standing recorder (Tascam, Korg, Yamaha....) you can take it with you easily.
So consider that too.

As far as guitar recording goes, there are many threads, but one common thing is:

For recording, good guitar tone generally comes from a smaller cabinet, like a 30W or so. A big head/speaker overwhelms the acoustics of most rooms and gives you more difficulty in controlling what you actually get on the recording.

So, a small cabinet, turned up a bit, with a mic (Shure 57 is a good cheap start) angled in front of the speaker, and then the guitar signal also sent straight into the recorder via a direct box, gives you two channels to mix:
The sound of guitar/amp/cab in the room (via the mic) mixed with the 'clean' guitar tone straight into the recorder.

You can play around with the above to achieve a variety of sounds.

To get back to the soundcard: most PCs come with the cheapest cards possible, so don't expect greatness that way. You need more than one input and they need to be clean and selectable between mic and line level.

M-Audio makes good sound cards; the 24/96 is versatile:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Audiophile2496

For freestanding (which is the way I do it), look at Tascam's digital 8-tracks as a good beginning; prices are really coming down in that regard. I like Tascam because they have an intuitive feel, compared to many units. You can get going quickly.

Some choices here (including good old fashioned cassettes):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navi...-multi-track-recorders?N=100001+304739+201139

I am assuming you are not just going to do guitar solos?

So, 8 tracks for anything should be your minimum. That gives you some space for bass/drums/et.c.

Anyway, just a bit from me; hope it helps.

Best,
C.

ok

I was thinking of just going direct from the amp to my laptop using a 1/4 > 1/8 jack and then mix it with some software. Is this any good?

NO!

and if so - what software should i get?

Reaper

I'm going to be recording my guitar through my Marshall DSL100 head although i can't really use the amp too loud at mine. (I record elsewhere where i can have it as loud as needed)

i have an AVT50 head. Before i got my LA-610 i use to run my bass guitar thru it, then i sent the direct out to a TrakMaster and had wonderful results.
I always mic up a cabinet when recording guitar, but i would imagine you could get a decent sound, i mean it is a Valve Head. Just make sure you don't use the a/d converter from your laptop.

if cost is a factor i do recommend something from M-Audio, delta 44
low cost with good quality.

Back