Home made 16" hats from two 16" crashes that I TIG welded cracks on

I've done it, but never with 'repaired' cymbals. I just took a thin top and a heavy bottom, and have gone as big as 18". It's fun for a visual lark, but not practical. The hi-hat stand has to move that much further away from you, and they do sound pretty 'washy'. But it is cool to do once in a while, and get a few weird looks, especially from other drummers.
You want to really mess up other drummers? Go out there with an 18" kick (or I've turned a 16" floor tom on its side), a 10" rack tom, a 14" floor tom, and a 12" snare. Now add a 24" ride, some 18" 'hats', and a 20" crash. Yeah, I mix my meds sometimes.

I got to use these on stage Sunday night, for the first time. Awesome is the best word for them,lol. I also did more than just pair up some crashes , I also re-hammered the edges on both cymbals to prevent air lock and increase chik.
I don't find myself needing to move my HH stand forward, infact I find that with the larger hats I don't reach as far for my hats, they are perfectly in the way haha!

...... I also re-hammered the edges on both cymbals to prevent air lock and increase chik......

I never thought of that!!!!! I just tried a thin 18" top and a medium 17" bottom, thinking I'd avoid air lock, but hammering the edges????? Clever. But of course, they may not work as crashes again. Or would they?

Back