Hole placement of res head on kick drum

Call-Of-Ktulu

Rockaholic
My favorite kick sound comes off of the metallica S&M CD.... hes got about an 8 inche hole right in the center, i'm not sure if they got that sound by EQing it a bunch or not, but the thing sounds like a cannon. I also like vinnie paul of Pantera's kick sound, i think the hole is off to the bottom right or something. i'd like to know what you guys think the difference in sound is when you move the hole around to different spots.

Call-Of-Ktulu said:
I also like vinnie paul of Pantera's kick sound, i think the hole is off to the bottom right or something. i'd like to know what you guys think the difference in sound is when you move the hole around to different spots.

Vinnie Paul's kick sound is sampled.

Remember that the bigger the hole, the more it will be like not having a resonant kick head at all. As long as you're using the same size hole, I don't believe there would be that much of a difference in sound by moving it around to different parts of the head.

OCDP believes that they have come up with some sort of revolutionary kick sound by using two holes right next to each other.

Back