Hmmm ... so now what?

errr314

Ok heres my setup. Audix D6 on kick. Audix i5 on snare. Kel - HM1's as overheads. These are all going to a Firepod which is connected to a Mac-Mini (Intel Duo). The room is treated ...blah blah..all that good stuff. Now my drums do sound good in the room but heres the question. I am fairly pleased with the recorded sound I get but I guess I would like it improved. Whats the weak link here? They do sound ok but I want them to sound better. Any suggestions? I probably can get around 1000.00 to upgrade .....something. Better mics? Will that make a big difference if I get a pair of "upgraded" overheads? I guess I am trying to figure out where the sound can be improved. I record with Logic by the way. That probably does not make a difference but who knows? Oh yeah the room is small but obviously I cant much in that dept. Is there anyone that is at my level of gear that is experiencing the same thing perhaps? Word.

Last edited:
You don't mention what kind of drums/heads/cymbals you have....?

It's going to be real tough to give you an answer on how to get a 'better' sound than you are getting when you haven't really told us where you feel the sound is lacking or what you would like to improve on?

More depth? Low End? Crack? Cymbals?

:confused:

Hmmm .. good question. Well I have a Mapex pro-m kit. Ziljian A custom crashes. K - Dark Ride. Mastersound Hi-hats.

I know this sounds corny but it doesnt sound "professional". I know that the playing matters (I am no pro). And I know that I can't achieve "pro recorded" sound unless I win the lottery. The drums do sound nice in the room even though its kinda a crap room. I guess they just sound kinda dry and brittle when recorded. They lack depth and sparkle. Its not like its horrible but will upgrading mics/pres make a difference? I have quite a few mics that are in the 100.00 to 150.00 range but they all have a similar sound to them (except for the KEL's). Have I maxed out my gear potential for the room I am in? Thanks for your reply by the way :)

Last edited:
The reason you're not getting depth is probably because of the small room. Even if the drums sound ok in the room to your ear, close mics aren't really hearing the room, but whatever their polar pattern dictates. without a large room and ambient room mics, you're not going to get a very open sound. now, i don't record on a computer, and don't know much about interfaces, software, etc, but i'm assuming logic has plug-ins and your 4 mics are recording to 4 separate tracks for later mixing? if so, just experiment with tweaking eq on each track individually and then adding reverb to the whole mix (or you could do that individually too). just a suggestion, i really don't know much except that with an audix d6 and mapex set there's no reason why at least your kick shouldn't have a decent sound. unless your mic placement is screwy...
don't take my advice as gospel--the only reason i'm writing this right now is because i'm taking a break from messing with my own drum recording setup before my head explodes. we're never happy, dude. never.

Back