hmm finished attic, what options do I have

Pro Tools User

Hey all,

Im in the middle of a move right now. I'm moving to a House/Apartment with a finished attic where I would setup the studio. The attic is finished already with hardward floors. I'm in a similar situation now but with carpeted floors and the outter walls are shaped to the pitch of the roof (sorta A frame shape but the ceilings are flat and dont go to a point.

This is a yr temp setup. Im looking for suggestions on getting this attic together and ready to move my equipment in.

Right now Im using Auralex for sound absorbers in the attic im in now, and it seems to work pretty good,,,,,,,,plus furniture in the room. The only difference with the place im in now is that....the new place is larger and has hard wood floors to deal with. I can see my mixes sounding terrible with all the reflections. Any Ideals other then a area rug or carpet and the auralex foam?

thanks
Eddie

how big is the space?

those hardwood floors are going to be your best friend. Its way better than carpet. i wou ld be worried about bass trapping. do a search, its all over the place ehre, or go to www.etahnwiner.com and click on articles. the second article down is what your looking for

I would say 10x20 is the biggest room in the attic, there are two others..... one 10x12 and the other is 10x10 these are just guesses at this point, so dont quote me on the sizes. I can get the exact dimensions tomorrow and possibly take some pics so people here can get a better understanding of the attic.

I figured for tracking live instruments the hardwood floors would definately be an advantage but for mixing just cant see how that will help but then again I dont understand studio construction or acoustics of a room. I know the way my room is setup now most of my mixes translate well.

I will try to get more details in the next couple of days (pics and Dimensions)

thanks
Eddie

Thanks Ethan,

I did visit your site and I get EQ monthly, so I have read some of your articles also. Thanks, your a true asset to this site.

Thanks
Eddie

Back