hm... Mixer pres that sound good as or better than DIGI 002

lbcstudios

ok.. heres my situation.. i have had a behriner eurorack UB 2222 pro mixer.. the pres dont sonud that great... i bought a digi 002 r and the pres are nice... i was thinkin about gettin 2 more outbaord pres to use with the 002 pres.. but i like the routing capabilities and EQs of a mixer... is their a mixer out there for 500 or 600 with 6 pres that will sound as god or better than the 002... the behringers are kinda sucky... ive looked at some smaller mackie mixers with 6 pres.. but i dunno how they sound... hopefully better than Behr.

wow.. 2 of those are very cheap $ ... is thier a mixer out there that hhas like 6 pres for around 600 ? or are those mixer very nice.. even tho they are quite low in price..? a board that has pres comparable to the m audio DMP 3 ? or are those mixers of that quality... maybe i just repeated my post that started the thread... i duno... im surprised no one recommended a mackie???

assuming that the pres in the 002 are the same as the 001, i thought the mackie vlz pres were just as good if not better.

fenix said:
assuming that the pres in the 002 are the same as the 001, i thought the mackie vlz pres were just as good if not better.

definetly not the same. we had my 001 and an oo2 where we compared the overall sound (has to include A/D D/A since you cant bypass the converters for mic pre comparisons).

the 002 pre's were tighter and very much usable. my 001 pre's are harsher especially in the high end and very much like my mackie 1202 vlz (not the pro)... my 001 pre's are good for a talk back mic, but thats about it.

that souncraft M8 looks very cool. worth more discussion!

ooo how much of a step up would you say that octane would be from a mackie 1604 vlz pro pres? or would it be a negligable difference and to really sound alot better i'd need to really lay down some cash?

Rocket Boy said:
ooo how much of a step up would you say that octane would be from a mackie 1604 vlz pro pres? or would it be a negligable difference and to really sound alot better i'd need to really lay down some cash?

It depends on how it's used. Difference would be small, but more noticeable in some applications than others.

The M-audio looks like a good deal. That's less than $100 / channel.

So this is kind of a newbie question, but here goes:

The OctoPre has ADAT Lightpipe output. (picture Loen Phelps, the ladies' man): Yeeeeah, now what is that?

Will I need some kind of adapter card in my computer? How much would one cost?

hmm.... soundcraft.. no, howabout a mackie.. no... yamaha... no... audio octane... ahhhh...

the octane looks nice.. but i need the functions of a mixer.

lbcstudios said:
the octane looks nice.. but i need the functions of a mixer.

DON"T buy a unit because it "LOOKS NICE", but for it's perf, dependability and quality!

You've been given some good suggestions here from others offering their opinions on which direction to go and I also give you props on the recognition of your present mixer's shortcomings
& limitations.

I just wanna' add that if at all possible,try to A/B the mixer or outboard pre at the music store that you are looking for. Do you want a pre that's "warm", has "color" , "transparency" etc.
If A/B'ing units is not possible at your music retailer, there are other options available such as the checking out the "Listening Sessions" produced by member Dan "DOT" Richards who A/B/C'd
several pre's(sorry, but I 4-got the link but can be found by using the "SEARCH" function). Also listening to songs by var members in the MP3 forum where a wide variety of pre's are being used!

Don't make the mistakes I made in the past!
Being a former severe, gear-addict, everytime I read a thread in this forum that praised a "Best Pre For $-whatever", I would go and buy it w/o the benefit of 1st judging the unit with my ears rather than what I read or saw. With the exception of Chessrock's golden recommendation of the DMP3, (well worth it)
my other unit's were basically adequate for my needs. Recently, I bought the Grace Des101 not soley on what I read here, but getting the chance to hear the "sweetness" of this fine unit!

Take your time, and use your ears to determine what unit suits you best.

Peace

yo MISTERQCUE... good suggestions... o ya... when i meant it
" looked " good... i meant that the specs and details seemed nice... but i will def. take a listen on the unit i buy before i buy it.... these pres will be used along with the 002 pres.. i guess some more " transparents pres would work... ill prob save the " warm and colored pres" for a outbaord pre i will buy in the future. - later

yo MISTERQCUE... good suggestions... o ya... when i meant it
" looked " good... i meant that the specs and details seemed nice... but i will def. take a listen on the unit i buy before i buy it.... these pres will be used along with the 002 pres.. i guess some more " transparents pres would work... ill prob save the " warm and colored pres" for a outbaord pre i will buy in the future.

im lookin more into the soundcraft M 8...but that post about the new mackie mixers that have amazing pres? are those gonna be under 700 ? ill read more on that post and on mackie site

thx, LBC

Back