Hissing problem with USB Interface

tenants

After doing some acoustic guitar recordings this weekend with some new gear, I still haven't been able to fix the noise problems I've been having lately (I'd link to a sample, but apparently you have to make at least 10 posts before you can use a URL).

I recorded a song with an M-Audio Pulsar II condenser mic, plugged into an ART Phantom II pro for phantom power, and from there to an M-Audio DMP3 mic preamp with the low-pass filter engaged and the gain set to about 60%, then finally into a Mackie Tapco USB interface with the gain set to about 30%. The mic was pointed at the 12th fret of the guitar about 6 inches away, and recorded with Acoustica Mixcraft in exclusivity mode, on a Lenovo ThinkPad that was on battery power. The Phantom II was using a 9v battery, and the DMP3 was plugged into the wall. During playback, there is a very noticeable constant hissing, as if the gain were turned up as high as it goes.

I understand that without a power conditioner you can end up with noise from a ground loop, but this seems different. I used to hear the same hiss when I didn't use exclusivity mode in Mixcraft (I assumed it was a software thing), but now I'm wondering if it's something with a cable (maybe the USB cable?) or maybe the USB interface itself? I bought the DMP3 because it's supposed to provide clean gain, but the hiss hasn't gone away.

Any ideas? I'd like to avoid purchasing more gear until I get a good handle on what the problem could be, and how I can fix it. I'll also gladly provide a link to a sample mp3 if necessary. I'd appreciate any help!

After reading a bunch of articles, this evening I tried using ASIO drivers (ASIO4ALL) instead of WaveRT, and that didn't seem to help. I also tried using a different USB port, different USB cable, removing the DMP3 from the setup, and all with the same result. Can anybody help me out?

For all practical purposes, hissing is almost never caused by a ground loop, a cable, software/drivers, or anything else like that. It is almost invariably caused by cutting the input signal level and then boosting it again (poor gain staging), self noise (in condenser mics), and powering amplifier circuits using the unfiltered*output from alkaline batteries (don't ask).

Well, that's not entirely true. There is one software misconfiguration that can seriously impact your noise levels, and that is recording with a low bit depth. You should always track at 24-bit—never 16-bit, and certainly not 8-bit (blech).

Assuming you're already doing that, the first thing you need to figure out is whether the input level control on the Mackie is a gain knob or a pad knob. If it is a true gain knob (cranking it up increases the actual amplifier gain), then you want it as low as possible If it is effectively a pad knob (the gain of the circuit is constant, and it just reduces the input level to avoid clipping), then you want it as high as possible. You may also find that the bottom part of the range is a pad and the top part adds gain, in which case the optimal position is probably the highest position that adds no gain (assuming the Mackie's pres are noisier than the DMP3, which is not a given).

Once you've determined how the Mackie's gain knob behaves, set your preamp gain on the DMP3 appropriately to avoid clipping.

After you've experimented with different gain staging to find the least noisy arrangement, try a different microphone. It may simply be that those mics have too much self noise for whatever you're trying to do with them. In theory, they're 15 dB (A-weighted), which is fairly clean, but if you're used to LDCs, it's relatively noisy. If a different mic works better, blame the mic. :)

Awesome, thanks for the info! After a bunch more testing with a duplicate Mackie interface, I found that the one I had been using had a bit of damage in the preamps, and they were recording hiss even with the gain knobs all the way to zero. I decided to upgrade to a Focusrite Saffire 6 interface, which as far as I've read has some of the best preamps in its price range, so hopefully they can deal with the Pulsar mics. If they can't, then yeah, blame the mic. :)

Back