hissing problem (always on the same track?)...

dix0r

hey, how's it going guys?

today, i was recording my friends band, and no matter what i did, i couldn't get rid of this hissing noise coming into my DAW, but only on channels 3+4. it just sounded like the preamp gain was up too high or something.

mics -> soundcraft ghost 24 -> RME multiface -> n-track

i couldn't get rid of it - i tried adjusting the preamp gain, switching mics, switching channels on the mixer, cutting the signal, disconnecting the snake, and switching cables around at the multiface's inputs...no matter what, there was always hiss on those tracks.

about a week ago, i recorded my friend playing drums, and i had no problem with this. now i can't figure out how to get rid of it! i can't think of anything i've changed since then...anything else i should try?

oh, and if a sample is necessary, i'll post one in the morning :]

im a newbie who hardly knows anything, but maybe i can help. until you can figure out where the noise is coming from, you can use the noise removal effects in wave editor software like sound forge. audacity is one that is free. also, is there anything that's in the room that could be making humming noise like a refrigerator, water heater, tv with the volume turned all the way down, etc.

cool, i appreciate the response :]

as for TV/fridge, theres nothing in the room, and as far as i know it wouldn't only show up on one track.

i just downloaded audacity but haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet...i'll definitely try that though :]

thanks,

-mike

audacity(settings)

make sure to set it so that it edits a copy of your wave file, so you can work with it without destroying the original file. this way you can always revert back to the unaltered file.

Back