hiss when converting midi to audio

malgovert

I realise I am in a bit of a time warp here as I am still using CWPA 8 on my old Pentium III but I have been out of the loop for a while and thought I would try and get my hand in again using my old stuff before upgrading. I have never had any trouble converting midi to audio but suddenly there is a definite hissing sound in the silent portions and I can't figure out what it is. I have tried reducing volume controls but to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks.

Malgovert

Well, the soundcard is a creative soundblaster live and the monitors are Genelec. To convert I simply turn on midi play, raise the volume to 127/pan 64, arm the appropriate track for recording, and check the recording levels in the console view. However I have been playing around with it some more and I first thought the hiss was not on the recording but on the midi track. Then tonight I noticed that the hissing stops when I close the cakewalk application. When I reopen it there is no hiss, but it starts when I turn the volume of the midi track up full and press play. After that the monitors hiss like hell over all tracks and the only way I can get rid of it is to close the application. The computer has not been used for some time and is behaving pretty strangely generally - fatal exceptions, illegal operations, a right click drop down menu in response to a double left click... I wonder if it's just time for a whole new setup. The only trouble is it's a few years since I have done any of this and I am not familiar with any of the latest equipment/applications - firewire, AI, DAW - it all seems to have changed so much I kind of feel safe with my old CWPA8! S'pose I have to do some reading and bite the bullet...

Malgovert

Back