Hiss in any USB mics and interface

Tintins

Hello,

I am new to home recording. I have done plenty of research over the past year but haven't found a solution yet, and it is becoming very frustrating.
I have 2 USB mics and then 1 analogue mic for which I use an interface, and no matter which device I plug into my laptop, I get a terrible high pitched hiss (almost like wind), even when turning down the volume of the mic completely.
The interface makes a hissing noise even without a mic being plugged in - as soon as I select it as my recording channel, it starts to hiss.

My equipment:
- Lenovo Laptop Windows 8
- Yahama Audiogram 3 interface
- Samson G - track USB mic
- Rode Podcaster USB Mic
- Fruity Loops / ASIO4ALL

I am willing to invest in equipment, but I am scared to replace and invest in something that is unrelated to the actual issue.

I have attached a sample of the hiss that I get.

I would really appreciate some advice.

Regards
Tim

Attachments

• static.mp3
    487.2 KB · Views: 16
You show using ASIO4ALL. Have you tried the Audiogram3 drivers that are available from Yamaha?
AUDIOGRAM3 - Yamaha Downloads United States

It won't help with the USB mics, but maybe worth a try with the interface.

As Mike suggested look for some Windows settings that might boost the mic gain more than needed similar to the image below. There may also be other installed soundcard software that came with the laptop that affects the mic input (my desktop has Realtek Audio Manager).

Attachments

• auto_adjust.PNG
    auto_adjust.PNG
    97 KB · Views: 14
Make sure the di/mic switch (if it has one) is on mic.
make sure your signal chain is correct and you're routing through the right places.

cheaper preamps will make noise at lower gain, too.

Back