hiss help......

Sofisticated

i have recently bought a sound blaster audigy ex and the rest of mah gear.......when i went to record there was hiss........i have a cheap cable vould that be the problem or is it the sound card itself.......please help.....

Give us some more information on your recording sound chain and how it is all hooked up.

Is the hiss there during recording and playback? Sometimes a hiss heard during recording is being induced into the monitors but is not actually being recorded. Another thing to try, turn off your monitor and/or any flourescent lights in the room, these are the most common sources of noise. What are you recording? Some sources (single coil guitars) generate a lot of noise when exposed to your monitor, flourescent lights, electric motors, etc.

If none of this helps, look for snakes:D

HEY PHYL....

WELL HERES MY CHAIN I GOT A APEX 420 MIC WITH AN AVERAGE MIC CABLE THAT CAME WITH THE PACKAGE THAT I HAD BOUGHT........CONNECTING TO MY ART TUBE MP MIC PRE.........AND A VERY VERY CHEAP CABLE THAT RUNS FROM THE PRE TO MAH SOUND CARD..........YOU CAN HEAR THE HISS RECORDING ITS VERY STRONG........AND DURING PLAYBACK IT IS EQUALLY AS STRONG.......THERE ISNT ANYTHING RUNNING IN MY ROOM ONLY MY MONITOR BUT ITS THE SAME THING WHEN I TURN IT OFF...........I HAVE A DYNAMIC MIC SETUP AND IT WORKS HUMM/HISS FREE WHEN I PLUG IT IN THE SAME INPUT AS THE CONDENSER.........HELP?? ANYTHING??

Buying better cables is always a good idea, even if they don't solve the immediate problem they will prevent other problems later on.

If new cables don't solve the hiss problem, try these things:

1- Make sure the phanton power switch is turned on when using the Apex mic, it needs 48V to work properly. You can turn it on or off for the dynamic mic since they just ignire phantom power.

2 - Are you using the same gain setting on your pre-amp for both microphones? You may have too much gain selected for the Apex mic, which will raise the noise floor and create hiss. Try lowering the gain and moving the sound source closer to the mic so you don't need so much gain.

3 - Move the mic pre-amp as far away from your computer as possible since it might be picking up noise from the CPU. You might try moving it around while connected to see if the hiss gets worse when it's close to you closer to your CPU.

That's all I can think of, hopefully someone else will chime in.

hey thanks again phyl.........imma get better cables next week on payday :-)..........

1. im sure the phantom power is on i just spit a verse on it and t work very nice except for the hiss problem......sometimes theres an umbearable amount and other times there isnt as much......not sure whats that all about if any1 can help i would greatly appreciate it........

2. hmmm i modifyd the gain somany times and no matter what i do theres still that little hiss that is noticable that ruins the track.....im at mah witz end....

3. moving it didnt help not one bit.......hmmmim positive thats it not mah soundcard fault.....becase as i said i tryed it with a dynamic mic with a 1/4 in connector.....so im down to mah only options.......mah preamp (art tube mp) or cables......ive heard in the mic orum that this other guy is havng the same problems with hiss.......he has the same set up as i except in variance in mic........

THANK YOU ALL (EXPECIALLY PHYL) I APPRECIATE ALL YA HELP....

Got another mic-pre sitting around or that you can borrow from a buddy to check 'er through? I suspect somewhere in the gain structure of the Art, and you might be able to cut it down with some fiddling.

thing is is that i dunno anyone that has a preamp that i can use let alone borrow....so imma have to see what happenes on sunday.......then i will balance mah wages and see what i can get........new pre and cables is what im aiming for......

drstawl - whats tape-op??

thank you.....peace

If you have the Tube MP plugged into the mic input this is the problem.
The Tube MP is a preamp it outputs a line level signal.
Try plugging into the line input of the audigy soundcard.

Sorry if you've already tried this.

Back