Hipshot tremsetter on a strat

I've replaced a lot of them with normal nuts yes.. The reason is that they end up getting gunky and don't work. You can't adjust the string height satisfactorily and they are pretty much a complex solution to a simple problem. Add to that that if you use strings heavier than 10's you need a different unit most times. My motto with the guitars over the years has become keep it simple.

To replace you need to remove the first fret and piece in a new f'b section to the correct nut slot and refinish. Not a massive job but you'd need to be confident to do it. I have replaced more than I have been asked to fit.

Oh and the Fender LSR are far superior to the Wilkinson models from the ones I've seen. I wouldn't have either on my guitars.

Right. I'm not sure if I can even get a Wilkinson any more. If not, I'll probably try fitting a LSR, because (1) the fretboard is already mostly prepped for it, (2) it's relatively cheap and (3) I'd rather not have my Strat sitting in the luthier's shop for a month while he keeps putting it on the back burner while he makes his rent money changing strings on kids' learner guitars.

...I'll probably try fitting a LSR, because (1) the fretboard is already mostly prepped for it, (2) it's relatively cheap and (3) I'd rather not have my Strat sitting in the luthier's shop for a month while he keeps putting it on the back burner while he makes his rent money changing strings on kids' learner guitars.
Or mail it to Blighty. I'm sure Mutt will get it back to you before the apocalypse.

lou

Update - LSR Nut

Hey, ZoSo - I installed a Fender LSR nut over the weekend.

It's a pretty straightforward install. The package contains the nut, a plastic widget for retrofitting the nut onto Wilkinson-equipped guitars, shims, and the two mounting screws. It would have been nice if they'd also included the specified drill bit, which is a #51 - which Home Depot does not carry. I did not need to shim mine, and the action was perfect the first time around.

Anyhow, it's a vast improvement over the sticky Wilkinson nut. It's not perfect, though, as full-on vibrato action with the bar down to the body still results in a bit of binding, although the result is tolerable. Small to medium bends come back to tune perfectly.

I did not use any graphite or oil on those ball bearings when I installed it. I'm gonna sprinkle a touch of graphite on them and see if that helps with the full dive bombs.

Oh, something else.

When I change strings I normally replace one at a time rather than removing the whole set. So the Strat hadn't been completely stringless in several years.

When I removed the strings to replace the nut I discovered that the D-string tuner was rattling around on the headstock as the mounting nut had loosened. That's where one string's worth of tuning instability was coming from. You might want to check your tuners, ZoSo.

hey zaphod, thanks for the update. i'm definitley going to give her a nice tune/clean up soon, and i may look into that nut. glad to see that it wasn't THAT much of a hassle!

hey zaphod, thanks for the update. i'm definitley going to give her a nice tune/clean up soon, and i may look into that nut. glad to see that it wasn't THAT much of a hassle!

If you decide to do it and can't find a #51 drill bit, give me a holler and I'll send you mine.

awesome! i'll def. let you know. i've been bassing it up more lately since the band's been playing a bunch of shows, so i've been neglecting the strat.....i'm trying to become better at standing and playing haha it's so hard, especially slap. i'm good when i sit, but standing is a whole different story. ugh.

awesome! i'll def. let you know. i've been bassing it up more lately since the band's been playing a bunch of shows, so i've been neglecting the strat.....i'm trying to become better at standing and playing haha it's so hard, especially slap. i'm good when i sit, but standing is a whole different story. ugh.

For a long time I played sitting down, but now that I've gotten active in a band again I find it more comfortable to stand than to sit. Go figure.

Back