hiphop vocals/setup

emohbe

Hey i was just looking for any suggestions when it comes to buying a mic for hiphop vocals. Ive never bought a mic before so i have no experience and it seems best to ask instead of trying to figure it out for myself. Also I have a m-audio fast track ultra and i was wondering what i needed to connect my future mic into that in order for it to work. Thanks

I like the SM7b but that is just personal taste. You really need to try different mics with the voice that you are recording. No one mic is best for every voice.

Yeah SM7B would be great with a good pre. A Kel HM7U, AT4040, Oktava MK319 or even any of the Advanced Audio Mics would be great.

Popular Hip Hop/Rap Choices- Rode N1TA, Samson G-Track (USB) and any of the SE mics available.
I have alot of friends who do Hip Hop so I know! The best quality ive heard of hip hop from these mics comes from the RODE N1TA and any of the SE series mics. I'm just buying a new one myself and I'm going for a SE mic due to personal recommendations from other music.
But as many will tell you on this forum..some mics work for people some don't..it depends on your voice and style too. And theres no 'perfect' mic for Hip Hop/Rap recordings as theres a number of things that can affect recording but theres obviously mics that are popular and these are the ones. You can get some of them on eBay but if you do and its cheap ask the seller a question and if it is a genuine model and howthey can verify this otherwise youll end up with a crappy chinese mic that isn't anything like the real thing.

Back