hip hop vocals eq-ing

JLinardi

i know alot depends on the voice but when eq ing for hip hop vocals what frequencies should i focus on and reduce or increase to get a clearer sound??

Also when people say heavy compression, is 4:1 seen as heavy or is 8:1 seen as heavy??

8:1 is heavy

too make things clear you should put a high pass around 30hz and mess around with the 300-700hz area(thats were most of the 'mud') high end boost @ 12KHZ or up for air, and mess around the 4khz to 9khz to get the vox more in your face and clarity., but before that you'd want to get a better MIC and pre amp

I've had good results with rap lately notching out around 200hz. Set a tight Q and work in the range to get ride of some mud, especially if its a low voice.

Work on some gain in the upper mid range to really let the rapping cut through the track

In Tune Audio said:
I've had good results with rap lately notching out around 200hz. Set a tight Q and work in the range to get ride of some mud, especially if its a low voice.

Work on some gain in the upper mid range to really let the rapping cut through the track

This is what I do it may work for you it may not.
Roll off everything on the vocals below 80Hz leave the rest flat
Pan doubles Hard Left And Hard Right bring bring them down till you barely hear them behind the Main Vocal.
I know everyone says don't do this but Set a Limiter on a Group Bus then run ALL your vocals through it.
Then bring the group bus fader down till it sits right in the mix.

Back