Hip-Hop track

I think the first rap has quite a bit of sibilance, also is there some reverb on it?

the second rapper comes in too loudly and the backing track is too quiet throughout

id leave the beat as it is, put dome delay or reverb on the synth line...make the horns bigger and compress the first rap...before i did that Id cut some of the breathing out between phrases as any compression will just highlight that

not a bad job though performance wise just not there in the mix imo

Yeah, kcearl is right too much sibilance, beat is too low, compress...
It also sounds like you might have used some kind of noise removal? There is some kinda artifacts on the vox. And take a little more time on the next one. Do as many takes as you need to get it right. Don't be lazy; it sounds like you know what you want it to sound like, but you don't follow through always. Oh and be more poetic.

The vocal is delivered OK, but its level is too high above the bed tracks. There seems to be some processing on it that's bringing out the sibilance.

The vocal that comes in at 1:30 is way too loud. It's a little on the harsh side too.

Seems like a little vocal distortion in spots (one example is 2:30).

Sounds ok. I think the vocals are way too high in the mix vs. the backing track. Vocals seem to be clipping at times too, particularly the 2nd vocal that comes in around 1:30.

So, how did this work? Forgive my ignornce, but I couldn't figure out who did what based on soundclick.

My guess is someone created the backing track based on some track by lil wayne (I've heard him, but only once or twice, so not at all familiar), and then they provided you with the backing track and you rapped over it with your own words and mixed the whole thing together? Just curious how that works.

Again, not too bad, but I really think you should look at the levels of the vocals. There's other things I'd do, but if the backing is set in stone, not much point.

alright, i apologize for the delay in my response.. i've been really busy with football. But yes someone did provide the track and i rapped over it. Its the same person, me, over the entire track. I'm new to the whole mixing and mastering thing.. I'm trying to get better at it.
I'm using cool edit pro 2.0. And i did use noise reduction for a "Constant hiss and crackle reduction." How would i tone down the sibilance? and no, i didn't put any reverb on it.

alright, i apologize for the delay in my response.. i've been really busy with football. But yes someone did provide the track and i rapped over it. Its the same person, me, over the entire track. I'm new to the whole mixing and mastering thing.. I'm trying to get better at it.
I'm using cool edit pro 2.0. And i did use noise reduction for a "Constant hiss and crackle reduction." How would i tone down the sibilance? and no, i didn't put any reverb on it.

to be honest you dont really have many levels to be working with..forget about anything to do with mastering and just get the volume levels of the vocals to sit in with the backing...

theres no panning really to worry about with no call backs so once they are slotted in use an EQ if the backing track is masking the vocals...dont turn them up, and dont make big gains on the EQ..rather if they dont seem like they have enough treble try making a cut in the bass frequencies...then adjust the volume if need be. A cut in EQ is often more effective than a gain sometimes

if they sound like they are sitting to far in front of the backing use a little reverb to drop them back into the track...think of it like a depth tool.....

as for sibilance the best thing to do, as you are the vocalist, is retrack...always rap into your mic at a 45 degree angle and use a pop filter if you arent....make it 6" from the mic and you 6" from it...if it was another singer and you couldnt retrack Id suggest use an EQ sweep to find the worst part and cut it out...but really you are best just retracking if you can

Back