Hip hop production - serious about starting but clueless

F_a_d_e

Sorry, this is a little long and I know that there are posts all over the place talking about this but I haven't seen anything specific or easy to understand. I want to get myself started and headed in the right direction as a multi-genre music producer. I'm mostly into hip hop and r&b but I want to be diverse.

I'm currently only using FL studio 9 but I don't really like that style of production and I would really like to take this to the next level for the minimal costs possible. I've been watching a lot of videos lately showing producers in their studios and not one of them is using fruity loops or any similar program (at least to my knowledge, and at least not far as the melody / beat creation itself).

Here is Pharrel in the studio making "Midnight Hour". It seems like all he is using is a keyboard and it sounds amazing... that's exactly how I would like to start making tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-m7lEGbnyY

So I guess my question is what exactly do I have to get so that I can learn to create music the way that they do, and what is the cheapest way for me to get quality equipment without breaking the bank? Also, I want to upgrade my mic and get a cheap one that has good sound quality. I've heard that the Shure SM58SLC Vocal Microphone is a really good one. Is that the mic I should get, and also will I need anything else such as a pop screen or cables? And will I be able to connect that directly to my laptop for quality sound?

Thank you for any advice

Sorry, this is a little long and I know that there are posts all over the place talking about this but I haven't seen anything specific or easy to understand. I want to get myself started and headed in the right direction as a multi-genre music producer. I'm mostly into hip hop and r&b but I want to be diverse.

I'm currently only using FL studio 9 but I don't really like that style of production and I would really like to take this to the next level for the minimal costs possible. I've been watching a lot of videos lately showing producers in their studios and not one of them is using fruity loops or any similar program (at least to my knowledge, and at least not far as the melody / beat creation itself).

Here is Pharrel in the studio making "Midnight Hour". It seems like all he is using is a keyboard and it sounds amazing... that's exactly how I would like to start making tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-m7lEGbnyY

So I guess my question is what exactly do I have to get so that I can learn to create music the way that they do, and what is the cheapest way for me to get quality equipment without breaking the bank? Also, I want to upgrade my mic and get a cheap one that has good sound quality. I've heard that the Shure SM58SLC Vocal Microphone is a really good one. Is that the mic I should get, and also will I need anything else such as a pop screen or cables? And will I be able to connect that directly to my laptop for quality sound?

Thank you for any advice

i wouldnt want to upset users of FL but when ive used it its like a toy...you can get results but its the oddest of workflows...anyway, I dont mean to dis it

get yourself Ableton Live...they have an essential version thats excellent...idrums also a great little sequencer for beats if you dont get along with entering midi..

to be honest there has to be some cash outlay..you're going to need these items at least

- a midi keyboard of some sort- these can be used for entering beats as well controlling soft synths

- an audio interface..the soundcard in your laptop will be less than useless for any music..even a lil' behri UCA 202 at $30 will be better than your soundcard..

- you need to monitor outside of just headphones...try to get yourself a 2nd hand pair of nearfeild monitors or even a decent set of older hifi speakers, these will do wonders for any mixing

these purchases needn't be $$$$$ check your local c'list, pawn shops..you could get this together for under $100..

a SM58 is a solid all round mic, the fact its dynamic means that it doesnt need phantom power or a pop screen...BOOT EQ is a decent enough channel strip for free to help get a better sound from the mic..

but to be honest you need to put time in reading and experimenting...its takes time but there is a ton of freeby stuff out there to get you going..I, or others, can point you in the direction of most of it..effects, mixing tools, drum and beat samples..just yell

dont splash out cash until you know you have the persistence and want to learn this...there's no shortcuts and it can get costly!

good luck and welcome to the site :)

I agree with everything kcearl said, but I like FL Studio. It is different than other DAWs, but once you get used to it, it can be pretty easy and effective (although when trying to do certain things I do sometimes find myself thinking "why do I have to do it like that, why can't i just do this?"). I also recommend Reason for making beats with a keyboard, although you can't record anything but midi into it. Something like this is what you saw Pharrell doing. Reason is like huge collection of instruments, and you can control them all with the keyboard.

I've heard people do pretty impressive stuff on FL, and I know a few big names (like 9th Wonder) use it. I agree about ableton, but I also think you should probably step up to a DAW like Pro-Tools or Logic @ some point. If youhaven't invested in hardware, that's probably a good thing. I use it, but it's more expensive, and software can do most evrything. Look online for tutorials....I've seen a grip of them on youtube (particularly for FL)

yeah again sory if i sounded like i was putting down FL, ive only demoed it and never really got to grips with it...

Ableton will do a ton for you and remixing on its easy and insperational...but i also use sonar studio as its more in depth for midi and is better for mixing the stems..

but you'll be fine sticking with one...to be honest stick with FL just now, use the cash on the other items I mentioned..if you are stuck with it try the "FL bible" which will teach you how to get more from the software

the guys you mention didnt get professional sounds because of the recording programme they used but rather the amount of time and skill they put into their craft..

No kcearl, I can definitely see where Fl can be counter-intuitive if you're not used to it. Also, I might not have been clear when I mentioned Pharrel in my other post. Fade, you said you wanted to make beats with a keyboard. Both of the programs I mentioned have that capability, so if you get a midi keyboard and interface, you could do that with FL. However, I personally prefer Reason because I feel it's got better instruments and more of them in the factory sound bank. It also seems to be easier to control with the keyboard, my keyboard doesn't have the ability, but if you get a nice one, I believe you can control most aspects of Reason through it. I don't know if that is the case with FL, although I imagine you can control the important stuff with a keyboard. It sounds like you have decent samples though so that might not be your problem. If you want to step up your beat-making, kcearl is right, a new DAW might not really help you, practice will though. You (and everyone who reads this) should check out Ronald Jenkees on YouTube, he makes SICK beats with FL Studio, he doesn't show you how he makes the beats, he just shreds the keyboard over them. He's a funny guy too, you will be entertained/inspired. Most of the recordings suck though, but he might have a few album-quality videos.

Thanks again - So if I stick with FL and get the equipment you guys reccommend then I will be able to transfer these skills to more professional situation when I get there or will there be another big learning curve?

Alright so I'll take your advice on equipment, but I'm not sure what to get. So one more time if you don't mind, what are your reccommendations (in a very easy way to understand method haha) for what I should get and why? I am definitely set on a Midi Keyboard, I need new speakers, I need a new mic and I guess the other thing I need is a mixer or pre-amp to connect the mic to the computer? I plan on getting these from Amazon as I kind of live in the middle of nowhere if that changes anything...

I appreciate all your help

Thanks again - So if I stick with FL and get the equipment you guys reccommend then I will be able to transfer these skills to more professional situation when I get there or will there be another big learning curve?

Alright so I'll take your advice on equipment, but I'm not sure what to get. So one more time if you don't mind, what are your reccommendations (in a very easy way to understand method haha) for what I should get and why? I am definitely set on a Midi Keyboard, I need new speakers, I need a new mic and I guess the other thing I need is a mixer or pre-amp to connect the mic to the computer? I plan on getting these from Amazon as I kind of live in the middle of nowhere if that changes anything...

I appreciate all your help

you dont need a mixer..you have a mixer in FL

you need an audio interface...a line6 one is good because it has pretty good preamp software which will help with the vocals and its not too expensive...this also replaces your soundcard

as for monitors buy the best you can afford basically, near fields...but if money is tight go to a pawn shop and buy a pair of old high end hifi speakers and an amp, these will do for the time being..

as for steep learning curve?

well its as hard as you make it..if you think you are going to sound like your heros in a few weeks, months..save your money, you wont

if your willing to graft and read and learn then you'll get some satisfaction..but a few hundred bucks and a laptop are not going to replace years of skill and a full studio by any stretch of the imagination..sorry if that sounds rough

get stuck in and ask questions..theres a wealth of knowledge and talent on this site...unfortunately Im neither lol :)

Back