Hip Hop MIc Pres

Tubes Plain an Simple....this is why most cat's sound like ass live
With some exceptions

Peace,

Kevlar

I here what ya sayin COP but according to your theory, if I spend a ton of cash on a pre and then learn to use it very well. My sound will be better than yours. Anyways what price range are you lookin at. I asked a while back and someone told me great river pre's are good ones for rappers. Peace

Geoff

Shoot, maybe up to $600, but I have been told I can put an underground album out and have great quality, to the average ear, for less than $300..? After that is done just sell and save for a pre above the $1,000 range. The underlining of all the debates I have read seems to say that unless you get above the $1,000 range you wont get much of a difference,..to the average ear. Yea.....Nea...??? Thanks

Ehhhh yeah you can do good things with cheaper stuff. Just spend the money wisely. That price range I am not really up on. Why don't you post up in the rack section and see if you get some better reply's..

i know this one AE I know is loving the Cranesong Flamingo in fat mode for hip hop vocals...he engineers for the likes of redman, BEP, Xtina, Missy, etc. so he got cheese for that though....

he also put me on to the A-Designs MP-2 which i think is great in any vocal application especially rnp because it handles overs terrificly but it has also worked great for hip hop vox much better then my RNP and forget how badly it shits on the mackie pre's which don't get used any more...A-designs is kinda expensive now too since it when up...

In my opinon you should go expensive so you just have to buy once. Once you use one you 'll see why its expensive because things become so much easier compression and eq sound so much better....its a beautiful thing IMO...

There are a lot of options out there. For under a $1,000.00 the presonus tubepre wins and it sells for $99.99 at most places. It's a great sounding piece and I've A/B'd it with some much more expensive pieces in the $1,000.00 and under price range. A previous version of it (i.e. the blue tube - stereo preamp) actually won best preamp under a $1,000.00 not too long ago, so it would make sense that this piece would fit nicely if you've only budgeted to spend less than a cool grand. No need in spending hardcore bucks until you can afford to buy something from these guyz:

http://www.avalondesign.com

If you want to know what folkz are using on their multi-platinum productions look at the Avalon 737, and the AD2022. Those are the big playaz, and they don't come cheap! I love mine to death, though. You know what's funny, though, is that the Tubepre still sounds good enough to be used with one of these puppies. Just don't tell anyone, cuz they'll give you hell for using a $100.00 tube preamp, ha ha. Good luck, kid.

muzakal

I would have to say in my experience that the most widely used micpre in hiphop or actually in general for fat sounding vocals is manley voxbox. fat tone for days. now at $3,500 its not a bargain, but i have used them quite a bit at a studio in town and I would have to say that they do in fact sound incredible.

"the most widely used micpre in hiphop or actually in general for fat sounding vocals is manley voxbox."

Not to be startin shiznit, but I don't think that's a very accurate statement.

No doubt they're incredible sounding, but they're not the first choice for a lot of producers puttin' out commercial hip hop. Maybe underground hip hop? I dunno - ha ha.

Truth of the matter is, you don't have to spend thousands of dollars to get fantastic quality when it comes to microphone pres.

My suggestion would be to focus a hundred bucks on the pre, and then put your other money toward good converters and sound sources.

Just my two.

-muzakal

not to retaliate, but a 99 dollar pre aint worth your time. you have to spend some money. the voxbox is used by so many folks it unreal. Almost very studio in the STL has one. I attended a session at third eye and Nelly actually carries his own in case ones not around. The voxbox is where its at.

A $99 dollar pre ain't worth anyone's time? Wow. Kind of a far stretched thing to say, but we'll leave it where it is. Anyway, my point is that the voxbox isn't the most widely used. It's a dern fine preamp, but there are a lot of dern fine preamps available.

Folks just a reminder this is Homerecording i.e carpet on the walls , towels under the door and your little brother standing in front of the bathroom as the " Do not disturb: Now Recording" sign :D

Iceberg, no offense homie, but we aren't building Pro Studios here. We're building HOME Studios here...

There's a Mic Pre out right now, that's won a bunch of awards for the "Best Pre Under $1000" and crap like that... it's only $149 or something like that... I forget what brand it is. This is going to Piss me off...

Back