High Schoolers Recording

jimmychalk

HOLA This tune was done at my friends house on a roland vs 2480, and I'm working on mixing in Sonar... it's a pretty basic acoustic pop/rock song, with Paul (songwriter), a college freshman playing acoustic and singing, and me and jonny (high school juniors) doing elec/bass (me) and drums (jonny). Please give this song a listen and tell me what you think! have a good one ~Jim

http://www.jimmychalk.com/ and scroll down a little bit to "square one"

THANKS!

my main mix suggestion would be w/ the snare...........it doesn't have the fullness of the rest of the kit....particularly the toms.....the sound of the snare is just a little out of place compared to the rest of the mix in my opinion....

unfortunately, i'm no master at recording drums so I can't offer any good suggestions.....but as a listener, that's where I'd start

aside from that, sounds like you got a good start for a mix here......

I like the way the drums sound.I think the snare is fine,IMHO the toms are a little too loud making the snare sound uneven volume-wise from the rest of the kit....the song itself is cool.Nice vocal performance.

You're on the right track IMHO.

Man! I wished I sounded that professional when I was in high school! Actually, I wished I sounded that professional now!

Nice tune and arrangement.

The problems with the mix are as stated above in the drums. The entire kit is about 3db too loud except for the snare which is fine.
I wonder if the drummer was mixing this track and wanted to take the spotlight?:)

The vocal needs just a little bit of air around it. Add a bit of modest verb and all should be well there.

Nice job! :)

ALRIGHT new mix is up... less drums, and I added some 'verb on the vox just like y'all said! haha, so give it a listen everyone and tell me what you think could be changed thanks ~jim

The drums still seem to loud to my ears. The hats and cymbals are still over taking the mix.

I am also having trouble hearing the bass guitar in there.

Are you sure you added some reverb to the vocals? It seems like the same dryish sound on there.

Don't rush the mix just to please us. Take your time and listen to it yourself a good few times first and take breaks so you don't get ear fatigue. Check your mix on a couple of different speaker systems to to see if its translating well on a range of equipment.

You're still young! Take your time and have fun with it!

Cheers! :)

Very mature stuff considering your age. Nice harmonies and very good playing!

I couldn't hear the bass real well. Kinda burried.

All in all, very nice job!!

Cool acoustic feel...

The drums are too loud overall...the snare really cuts through too much and the cymbals do at times.

It's hard to hear the bass most of the time...

At around 2:27, the singer hits an "s" that comes on a bit too strong.

Other than that, the recording quality is really good and the band is very tight. You probably get the Dave Matthews comparisons a bit, which is the compliment, but it is still uniqe and different as well. Good stuff!

The bass and kick are just not recorded well. They need to come up to drive the sound.

I like the vocal.

Snare is too hot. Turn it down.

Acoustic needs some highs to cut through and take a differenct sonic space. Leave its volume where it is though.

Your not far off from a good track here and it sounds really good.

Great energy.

Back