High Quality Monitors at a Good Price?

ziplock43

Hello all,

I am looking to purchase some studio monitors, and don't know where to start. I assume I just need two (is this correct?) to keep it simple. If I'm not looking to spend more than $200 for both monitors, can I still get good, quality sound coming out? Any users here have any good recommendations? Or should I increase my budget, is $200 unreasonable?

I am still looking to buy some Drums and a guitar, so I am trying to be as frugal as I can be here. I know that good quality monitors are critical tools, though, if I want to produce high quality sound.

Thanks.

"High quality monitors" and "$200 for the pair" are pretty much mutually exclusive..... Here's a thread on GS that may point you in the right direction:

good studio monitors for $200-$250? - Gearslutz.com

I had a pair of Behry 2031A's a while back, they're pretty decent if you can find a used pair on CL or something, they would be about that price range.

I recently purchased the generation 2 KRK Rokit 5's on eBay. These studio monitors typically retail $150 each ($300 for two monitors) from Guitar Center, Musiciansfriend.com, and even Best Buy. I bought them brand new packaged with Auralex MoPads and two XLR cables for $280. These speakers are amazing! Check them out.

I recently purchased the generation 2 KRK Rokit 5's on eBay. These studio monitors typically retail $150 each ($300 for two monitors) from Guitar Center, Musiciansfriend.com, and even Best Buy. I bought them brand new packaged with Auralex MoPads and two XLR cables for $280. These speakers are amazing! Check them out.

And your point is? Who do you work for? Show us your passport...

:D lol

i'm currently in a similar situation; i need new monitors but really don't have loads of cash for them at the moment. i'm currently torn between;

RCF Ayra 6 (£328 for the pair). they look great on paper but they've only been out about 8 months and there really doesn't seem to be any reviews and i can't find anywhere local that i can try them
Adam A3X (£390 for the pair). with have the P11a's at work and i really really like them, but i'm not sure how well the smaller driver will work without a sub.
and this may sound crazy, but the Behringer Truth B3030a have sparked my interest (£230 for the pair). 6 3/4 inch woofer and the ribbon tweeter sparked my interest. the "b" word still gives me chills but most of the new gear i've seen/tried seems to actually sound good but still has the classic crappy build quality issue.

i've heard a couple of sets of the KRK rocket 6 and i really wasn't a fan.

and to the OP, even the ones i've mentioned are above the $200 range (assuming straight currency conversion, even the beri's would be $350), and i really think it'd be worth saving/allocating more of your budget to monitors and room treatment

I keep hearing that at the lower price points you should be looking for non ported monitors as the roll of on the lows is relatively long expesically if working with material with a lot of low freqs, I just sold my yamaha msp5 for adam A7X and I'm really enjoying them. The weirdest thing is that treating my room acoustically actually had the biggest impact on my mixing over spending (at least to me) a lot of money on new monitors.

ath m50s are good headphones for under 200

Sub on Youtube 4 Beat Contest, Tutorials & Hit Radio Beats
TAGG's 2012

I think he reached his "10" and now he's just spreading the joy - Everywhere. Repeatedly. Ad nauseum. Etc., etc., omnibus, missedthebus, when'sthenextbuss.

I believe it's called shameless annoying over self-promotion or as those who have been around for a while call it "the reason no one listens to my crap" Sorry was that harsh?

I believe it's called shameless annoying over self-promotion or as those who have been around for a while call it "the reason no one listens to my crap" Sorry was that harsh?

Yes, harsh, but nothing more true has probably ever been said. Well, maybe MM's previous post.

I was wondering why that video looked familiar. :rolleyes:

I think Adam A7X are going to be my next monitor purchase,
unless I can find better in that price range.

I watched it, it is a bit jumpy and monotonous, no offense to the artist.
I think having an actual idea of what it is that you are trying to accomplish
can go a long way towards making a song interesting, if you catch my drift.
Every trip should have a destination in mind, otherwise, why go?

inexpensive good monitors...you're going to have to go used.

i'll do what most people do and recommend what i have...yorkville ysm-1 are inexpensive and very nice sounding.

The absolute most critical over all. Cut corners anywhere else -- Get the best monitoring you possibly can.

Hmm, you obviously have a lot more experience than me, but im questioning that statement. I could see if he was trying to save money to buy expensive mics, or pre, or interface or whatnot. But he wants to save money for better drums. Equipment must be more important than monitors? No? If you had shitty drums could you use expensive monitors to make them sound better? Barely, if you got a set of drums that started off sounding decent are cheap monitors going to completely ruin it? Not unless you can't cross check on a few systems and compensate.

Hmm, you obviously have a lot more experience than me, but im questioning that statement. I could see if he was trying to save money to buy expensive mics, or pre, or interface or whatnot. But he wants to save money for better drums. Equipment must be more important than monitors? No? If you had shitty drums could you use expensive monitors to make them sound better? Barely, if you got a set of drums that started off sounding decent are cheap monitors going to completely ruin it? Not unless you can't cross check on a few systems and compensate.

His point is, you can spend whatever amount of money on things that may make an impact on quality of a recording, but how the hell can one ever know what that impact in quality is, if you cannot accurately hear it.

No purchase can be made, without actually knowing what you are listening for.

The best advice that can be given, IMO, is to have a somewhat accurate monitoring system, in a room that allows a somewhat accurate listening environment. Everything else is just guesswork, unless you are able to hear, without doubt, what it is you are actually hearing.

Then, once you have the ability to form your own opinion, go farther than 'somewhat accurate'. Spend the time and money for room treatment, and spend for good/great monitor speakers.

My lord that seemed so redundant to say

Back