high quality CD writer drive?

miracle whipkey

Anyone know of any particular brand/models of CD burner that would be able to make high quality duplications? I'm looking more for the actual "burning" kind, that makes pits on the surface to represent 1's and 0's, as opposed to the cheaper consumer models that just basically print fake shadows that trick the cd readers into thinking there are pits. (that's why some older cd players can't read some CDR's.)

Anyone know of some good drives to reccommend. I was thinking about purchasing one, as opposed to paying a duplication house to make them for me. If you could buy a very nice burner for the same or less money, you could continue to make additional copies without paying for another pressing.

(of course, you wouldn't get cd face-printing, but thats aonther issue)

Plextor is known for high quality. I saw a Yamaha writer during 2002 which had some facilities for extra good sound...the name was something like bla bla mastering..bla quality. Don't remember the name of it though.

Have a Plexwriter 16/10/40A myself and are very happy with it.

Anyone else with experience of this Yamaha writer? I'm curious.

Hans,
www.hagen.nu

I have not used the Yamaha, but I have not heard anything bad about it either.

Recently Maximum PC magazine (which does some very anal, intensive hardware testing) rated Plextor & TDK #1/2 respectively among CD burners. Also the new Liteon CD burners are quite good (their older ones were suspect). The Liteons are particularly good at Digital Audio Extraction (i.e. "Ripping"). I have TDK, Liteon, and "Brand X" drives at home, and a Plextor at work. They all have worked well for me.

Back