High pitch whine from SBLive

nay

I got this high pitch whine coming from my SBLive. It changes pitch some when different things are displayed on the monitor. Now the monitor is a good 2 feed from the computer. My servo120 going to my "monitors" is a good 5 feet from my monitor. I get this same whine from my pc speakers too. If I turn down play control on my volume control it goes away. Anyone else got this? It's driving me crazy!
thanks,

nay

What happens if you turn your monitor right off? I had a similiar problem with a TB sound card ages ago. Turned out to be the computer power supply creating this high pitched whine like you describe. After swapping out the P/S all was fine.

This could be caused my alot of things..

Here are a few general solutions:

1) make sure you have your sound cards latest drivers..

2) Make sure you dont have a Condenser mic somewhere too close to the speakers (most generic computer mic's are condenser mics .. might try muting it in the "sound mixer")

3) Its possible that your video card is "sharing" an I/O address w/ your Sound card, this is a very rare problem, but I have seen some video cards based on the S3 chipset to cause this problem.

4) If the problem only occurs during playback, You might try
changing the settings in your recording software (if possible) to the following:

Recording device: Wave mapper
Playback device: DS - primary sound driver (or direct sound driver)

This helped a similar problem I had w/ Ntrack Studio.. and a SB PCI512 (one step below the sb live, but same card basically)

Emeric: I tried turning off the monitor but no luck. Could be the computer power supply (I'll prolly try my sblive in a different pci slot farther away from the power supply).

Deadboy: I have the latest SB drivers (that I made sure of). It happens ALL of the time not just during playback or record. (I don't use the mic straight into the card I run through the line in). I checked the irq/memory addresses of the sound card and video card... they're not sharing.

Thanks fella's for the help... if I get it fixed I'll let ya know.

nay

Change slots

Yes, I used to have a similar noise problem with a SB 128 card. PCI sound cards tend to to be affected by peripheral devices in the computer, maybe by resource sharing, or maybe by EM fields where the card is physically situated. (Particularly the voltage reducers on the motherboard output a huge EM fields). Try switching the sound card to a different PCI slot and the problem should go away. Keep trying different slots until you are satisfied.

Back