high pass filter?

Jammer429

I have had some people tell me I should us a high pass filter can someone please explain what it does I got one now but the only thing I can get it to do is make werid noises

A high-pass filter is a filter that passes high frequencies well, but attenuates (reduces the amplitude of) frequencies lower than the cutoff frequency. The actual amount of attenuation for each frequency varies from filter to filter. It is sometimes called a low-cut filter; the terms bass-cut filter or rumble filter are also used in audio applications. A high-pass filter is the opposite of a low-pass filter, and a band-pass filter is a combination of a high-pass and a low-pass.

It is useful as a filter to block any unwanted low frequency components of a complex signal while passing the higher frequencies. The meanings of "low" and "high" frequencies are relative to the cutoff frequency chosen by the filter designer.

Such a filter could be used as part of an audio crossover to direct high frequencies to a tweeter while blocking bass signals which could interfere with, or damage, the speaker. When such a filter is built into a loudspeaker cabinet it is normally a passive filter that also includes a low-pass filter for the woofer and so often employs both a capacitor and inductor (although very simple high-pass filters for tweeters can consist of a series capacitor and nothing else). An alternative, which provides good quality sound without inductors (which are prone to parasitic coupling, are expensive, and may have significant internal resistance) is to employ bi-amplification with active RC filters with separate power amplifiers for each loudspeaker making an active crossover.[citation needed]

Rumble filters are high-pass filters applied to the removal of unwanted sounds below or near to the lower end of the audible range. For example, noises (e.g., footsteps, or motor noises from record players and tape decks) may be removed because they are undesired or may overload the RIAA equalization circuit of the preamp.[citation needed]

High-pass and low-pass filters are also used in digital image processing to perform transformations in the spatial frequency domain.[citation needed]

High-pass filters are also used for AC coupling at the input and output of amplifiers
WIKI

A high-pass filter is a filter that passes high frequencies well, but attenuates (reduces the amplitude of) frequencies lower than the cutoff frequency. The actual amount of attenuation for each frequency varies from filter to filter. It is sometimes called a low-cut filter; the terms bass-cut filter or rumble filter are also used in audio applications. A high-pass filter is the opposite of a low-pass filter, and a band-pass filter is a combination of a high-pass and a low-pass.

It is useful as a filter to block any unwanted low frequency components of a complex signal while passing the higher frequencies. The meanings of "low" and "high" frequencies are relative to the cutoff frequency chosen by the filter designer.

Such a filter could be used as part of an audio crossover to direct high frequencies to a tweeter while blocking bass signals which could interfere with, or damage, the speaker. When such a filter is built into a loudspeaker cabinet it is normally a passive filter that also includes a low-pass filter for the woofer and so often employs both a capacitor and inductor (although very simple high-pass filters for tweeters can consist of a series capacitor and nothing else). An alternative, which provides good quality sound without inductors (which are prone to parasitic coupling, are expensive, and may have significant internal resistance) is to employ bi-amplification with active RC filters with separate power amplifiers for each loudspeaker making an active crossover.[citation needed]

Rumble filters are high-pass filters applied to the removal of unwanted sounds below or near to the lower end of the audible range. For example, noises (e.g., footsteps, or motor noises from record players and tape decks) may be removed because they are undesired or may overload the RIAA equalization circuit of the preamp.[citation needed]

High-pass and low-pass filters are also used in digital image processing to perform transformations in the spatial frequency domain.[citation needed]

High-pass filters are also used for AC coupling at the input and output of amplifiers
WIKI

+1 for this, great answer Rogue.
Jammer, what DAW are you using? I find it hard to believe it didn't come with a basic eq with a filter. I know PT comes with a decent one, I use it all the time.
James

. An alternative, which provides good quality sound without inductors (which are prone to parasitic coupling, are expensive, and may have significant internal resistance) is to employ bi-amplification with active RC filters with separate power amplifiers for each loudspeaker making an active crossover.[citation needed]

Another advantage to active (i.e., biamp) crossovers as compared to passive crossovers is their lack of inherent insertion loss. In a capacitive-inductive passive crossover there is an unavoidable drop in output in the region of the crossover point(s).

WIKI

+1 for this, great answer Rogue.
Jammer, what DAW are you using? I find it hard to believe it didn't come with a basic eq with a filter. I know PT comes with a decent one, I use it all the time.
James
Roguetitan wow man that was a great answer thanks for taking the time:)

and didgijimmy I am using cakewalk sonar 6 but are you saying the eq would have one in it?

google.gif

and didgijimmy I am using cakewalk sonar 6 but are you saying the eq would have one in it?

For PT the EQ (I believe it is the 3 band) does, or at least it is one of the options on the eq. I'm pretty sure its one of the eqs that came in the bomb factory plugins that came with my PT 7.
I can't vouch for sonar though.
James

For PT the EQ (I believe it is the 3 band) does, or at least it is one of the options on the eq. I'm pretty sure its one of the eqs that came in the bomb factory plugins that came with my PT 7.
I can't vouch for sonar though.
James

I'm using Sonar 4 and it has a "high pass" preset in the channel strip EQ. IMO, the Sonar 4 channel strip EQ is a little confusing because there is an unlabeled "enable/disable" box right next to the filter name. In this case, you need to select "high pass" AND you need to hit the enable box.

It makes perfect sense but for weeks I couldn't figure out how to turn them on. :(

I'm using Sonar 4 and it has a "high pass" preset in the channel strip EQ. IMO, the Sonar 4 channel strip EQ is a little confusing because there is an unlabeled "enable/disable" box right next to the filter name. In this case, you need to select "high pass" AND you need to hit the enable box.

It makes perfect sense but for weeks I couldn't figure out how to turn them on. :(

LAWL. I actually think that PT has a similiar function though I don't think it is called enable. But it seemed to make since to me.

Back