High Frequency Vocal Issue

RJMJ87

Please HELP!!! LOL
Every time I try to record vocals, there is a high-pitched loud frequency thing going on that hurts my ears. So to explain what I'm using, etc...
Using a dynamic mic, recording into the computer, recording female vocals...Everything sounds fine through my computer w/and w/out headphones, but the minute I burn to CD and put in my car, as the vocals are progressing there are points that hurt my ears. Only way I know of to describe them is as some kind of high frequency issue going on. I'm not that good w/EQ and tried removing the higher frequencies, but still have issues. What could be going on? Not sure what is wrong. Seems like the problem is a bit more improved since I got my new mic, but not 100% eliminated. Mic is a Shure SM58, audiobox is Presonus, software is Studio One Artist, pre-amp is TubeMP. Please any suggestions and in real layman's terms as I'm not good at this side of production. Thank you!

Imma embarrass myself here, but I'm desperate to resolve this issue, haha

Ebracce - YouTube

I recorded this myself.
I'm now done with this song but the same issue is happening with the next song I'm recording and I don't want it to continue. Thanks!

Sorry to double-post, just noticed the other question...
Listening to the CD with headphones on sounds okay.

You didn't list your audio interface, thought that's not likely to cause this problem. You also didn't specify your studio monitors which are more likely to be the cause. If they are weak in the high frequencies you'll mix with a high boost that won't sound right on other systems.

I didn't hear anything too wrong with the vocals other than being a bit thin and buried under the rest of the music.

Thanks for your review.
Interface is a Presonus Audiobox; monitors are Rokit 6. That's the thing, seems like no one hears the problems but me! lol I ask my fam "Don't you hear that? Doesn't that bother your ears?" and they look at me like I lost it; they don't hear a problem. But definitely something's going on 'cause it makes my ears hurt. I've tried all kinds of EQ things on the vocals, just messing around with stuff to hear what sounds better or not, but nothing solves it. I was told by an old professor of mine it could be a mic problem, that if I get the right mic it'll solve everything, but even the new SM58 is still not getting rid of it 100% and I know it's a good classic so not sure what else to try.

SM58s are the standard live vocal mic and they have uses in the studio, but there are better mics for recording vocals. Large diaphragm condensers are the norm for studio vocals. Maybe you're hearing the 2kHz presence peak of the SM58.

Throw an EQ on your channel strip and hit the "analyze" button or something so you can see the frequencies that are occurring.

At the parts where it hurts your ears, look at which frequencies are peaking, and automate them just 2-3 dB down. That should solve some of your problems.

Another issue could be that any compression/limiting you are doing could be distorting your vocals. It doesn't quite sound like distortion, but the subtle clipping that occurs through limiting and crushing your tracks will create narrow square waves, and it does NOT sound good. If you were to compress using a tube, this would hardly be an issue.

So check your compressors an EQ, there lies the problem most likely.

If that does not solve the problem, i recommend trying to re record the vocals from a different distance from the mic, using a different mic, or using a different room. It may be that the room you are recording in creates standing waves at those frequencies you are hearing. (a standing wave is a wave that gets "stuck" in the room, and gets too loud as a result). Different rooms will contain different standing waves, unless you are in a treated room.

Thank you, guys, for taking the time to listen and give suggestions. I truly appreciate it. I will try some of this out and let you all know what happened! *crossing fingers*

Here is the other thing: if you have been listening to this song over and over again trying to mix it, it WILL cause stress on your ears. Come back to the mix 2-3 days later after NOT LISTENING to the song and see what it sounds like.

The little hairs in your ears that detect frequencies slowly get flattened due to pressure. If you are over pressurizing them, you will feel pain when you continue to pressurize them. you have to include breaks for your ears if you intend to get an accurate mix. Now that you are feeling pain at those frequencies, you are going to remove TOO MUCH of them, so when your ears are back to normal, those frequencies will be too quiet.

It could also be something in your car.

Are you fighting a cold or allergies? When my allergies get bad, I get oversensitive to 3k. Its like an ice pick in my ears...

I think both you guys might be on to something; also, yes, I do have allergies. My right ear rings almost all the time. I take medicine every day but it still rings. Lots of things to investigate!!

Other than a fairly "brittle" upper edge to her voice.......not on every word........which does seem to cut through more than it should....there's nothing I would call obvious as a serious problem. I think I heard it more clearly because I was looking for it. Had that not been the case, I would have just asked about the room or mic "setup" as it was. The vocal is too low too. I'm thinking a little EQ will solve the problem here. Have you done previous recordings with her with different results? Maybe your car (or it's speakers) just happens to have some sort of sympathetic vibration issue with her voice. My 1970 Fiat had a similar problem with every voice :)

I know this is an older thread but I did promise to update :) pretty much I just stuck with the SM58 and mixed using the computer speakers as my listening system only (gaahhh! I know, that's usually not recommended, but I guess with my ears it's the way for me to go because everybody thought it sounded better! ha). It's not perfect, but I'm learning. Thanks again everyone for all your ideas and help.

Back