High Frequency "sparkle"?

strmkr said:
My mixing skills aren't bad, but tracking is where I'm really starting to find my niche.

I always felt that tracking, mixing and mastering were interrelated skills. If you want to be the best at tracking--make sure to know a lot about mixing as well. If you want to be good at mixing you have to know both tracking (usually correcting tracking errors or deficiencies) and mastering (what format to put it in). To get good at mastering you should be a great mixer already so you can see what the mix is trying to accomplish and make sure it gets there 100%.

Most definetely the skills are intertwined. I have no doubt I can do an decent mix of anything I track, I've done it enough. However I would never be so arrogant as to think that there aren't a whole lot of folks out there that could do it better, and just as important, different than I would do it. Everybody brings their own unique flavor and style to the table wnd I think thats what really makes the art happen.

When I said I was finding my niche tracking, I meant it is the part of the process I enjoy the most. I like the challenge of setting it all up, fleshing it out and going for a "push" mix that sounds sweet as hell with the faders sitting idle and the eq's sitting flat. That's the point when you know you have a good recording.

This next project is very special to me from the standpoint that it doesn't have anything to do with money or any other rewards to me. The guys I will be working with are my very best friends and some hella talented mofos. I want to wring every bit of what we can out of what we have to work with on this one,to "kick it up a notch". And most importantly, have a good time making music with my friends.

strmkr said:
Well, that would depend on what the copyright holder allows, but it isn't a bad idea. Future ME's need to start practicing and learning somewhere, so making material available for them to experiment and learn with is probably a good thing.
...your first post sounded like you were considering mastering it yourself and were looking for tips or something - my mistake. ;)

Back