Hi hat....

asi9

Okay, when we had finished mixing this song, the hi hat and cymbals didn't sound bad at all. But still, not quite what we were wanting. Here's what it ended up sounding like:
Go to http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/193/psychostick.html and download "Fake My Own Death and Go Platinum".

You can hear the hi-hat really well at the beginning. If you listen, you'll find that it does have crispness, but it has more of a "chink chink chink" sound when it's open when we were wanting to get a "pssss psss pssss" sizzling sound.

Technical info:
We used a shure SM81 mic and miced it like this:

<__^__>

Where the mic was about pointing down and slightly in towards the center, less than a foot above and a few inches in from the edge.

During mixdown, I cut out some of the lower mid range that gives it that "gong" sound. Put a nice reverb on it, which made the hi's really sparkle. Still, it doesn't go psssss......

Should we try different micing technique, or perhaps a certain kind of hi-hat cymbal to get that crisper, more sizzling pssssss sound? I'm not sure exactly what kind of hi-hat cymbals he has...

Try the overhead configuration that I just posted, and you wont need a high hat mic anymore, and it'll sound nice and natural.
I didnt listen to the track , by the way... slow connection...

Back