Hi-Hat Drop Clutch??? What's the point?

ZionBound

I just upgraded the hi-hat clutch on one of the kits I play. Because of pricing, believe it or not, it was cheaper to get a better clutch that was equipped with the drop clutch feature, than it was to get a good old fashioned hi-hat clutch. That should have been my first clue . . .

My question is this: What is the significance of a drop-clutch other than, what seems to me, another needless "flair" item.

I can see if you were working with a limited amount of cymbals and needing to use your top hat as a crash. But other than that; I missing the boat on drop clutches :confused:

Any thoughts??

I just upgraded the hi-hat clutch on one of the kits I play. Because of pricing, believe it or not, it was cheaper to get a better clutch that was equipped with the drop clutch feature, than it was to get a good old fashioned hi-hat clutch. That should have been my first clue . . .

My question is this: What is the significance of a drop-clutch other than, what seems to me, another needless "flair" item.

I can see if you were working with a limited amount of cymbals and needing to use your top hat as a crash. But other than that; I missing the boat on drop clutches :confused:

Any thoughts??
The drop clutch is used when you are playing a double bass pedal or double bass and you also want to ride the hi-hats. You have to remember to hit the clutch so that the hat cymbals close and then you can play double bass drum patterns and still get the sound of closed hats on a ride pattern. When you need the hats again for more conventional playing, all you need to do is step on the hats pedal and that little lever will engage the clutch again and you're good to go.
When I play double bass (which isn't that often) I will use the drop clutch.

Back