Hi everyone.

ErichArndt

I used to post here under a different name but I don't remember the password and I have a new email account so I started over from scratch. I've been home-recording for ten years or so but I'm completely self-taught and only doing it in my spare time and completely on my own... so it's been a slow learning process.

Anyway... here's the track I've just recorded. It's a new recording of an old song of mine so it's not particularly "current", but it is the first of what I hope to be a full album of some of my older songs finally recorded semi-properly.

I Think I Can

(hard rock with a bit of pop-punk and metal)

Haha! I like the chorus.

Sounds good, listening on the home stereo. I think maybe the vocals could come up a bit.

Good song. :)

Great pop-punk song. Reminds me a lot of Simple Plan. I could envision this on the radio actually. I found on my PC speakers that the vocals were at a good level. Everything else sounds a-okay to me... Cool tune :D:):D:)

Pretty good pop-punk stuff man. I enjoyed it. Made me think of Eve6.

If the vocals came up any, I'd say juuuuust a little bit. Also, at 40 seconds, when all the instruments come in, I think the guitars could come up some. On these junked computer speakers, it actually sounded more quiet than the first part of the song.

Anyway, everything sounded like it was tracked amazingly, just a couple of the levels off. Great job man!

Jeff

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It means a lot to me. I'm anxious to start work on the next song. I intend to start tomorrow.

A little background info on the recording.

Guitars, bass and vocals were performed live by me. Drums are programmed samples via Fruity Loops.

Five guitar tracks total: two almost identical main rhythm tracks panned 100% left and right. Two what I call "ambient" guitar tracks panned at, I believe, 75% left and right. One brief lead guitar track for the intro.

One bass track.

Four vocal tracks; one main lead vocal, one doubled vocal, one main harmony and then a secondary harmony that only occurs briefly just after the bridge.

Individual tracks for the kick, snare, hi-hat and ride cymbal, four tom tracks and five crash cymbal tracks.

Pretty major equalization on all tracks, plus a lot of compression on all vocals as well as the other more obvious effects here and there.

Sound card is a Sound Blaster Audigy.

I used a Dean Avalanche seven-string guitar and a Dean five-string bass... both run through a Digitech GNX1 effects processor and then in to my Akai mixer and directly into my soundcard. Vocals are through a Nady Starpower microphone into the mixer and then into the soundcard.

Adobe Audition was used for tracking, mixing and mastering along with a few plugins here and there.

Back