Hi, everyone! and starting small

suzi

Hi, everyone!

I have been lurking for about a week, and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Suzi, and (obviously), a noob. Still trying to unravel all of the information here, but have already learned a ton from everyone!

I've got two small goals:

I play wooden flute in an Irish band, and have just been making really amateurish recordings of our gigs to send to family with a voice recorder. I use Audacity to remove some of the noise and cut the recording into individual tracks, but that's about it. It's time to step that up to something a little better, I think.

My second goal is a little more challenging (at least for a noob): I play the harp, and need to make some recordings for an online class. I also want to have something to send to local restaurants and other places to line up some gigs playing background music. These don't have to be fabulous quality, but I want them to sound halfway good. The challenge is that the harp has so much resonance and sustain that I haven't been able to get anything that I'd even find useful to play back for my own use in a practice session.

I'm starting with essentially nothing. The advantage here is that I haven't already wasted money on a bunch of unsuitable equipment. :) I want to start small, and build up the right setup for my goals, one step at a time, as my skills improve.

There's nowhere to go but up from my current setup:
* an Olympus digital voice recorder (like you use for business meetings)
* A Sony T-mic
* Audacity on my laptop
* HiDefCorder (an Android app) set right now to record Wav's at 44100
* I also have a silver bullet microphone that I use on the flute for festivals, but haven't tried recording either flute OR harp with it (need to get an adapter to convert the 3-pin to whatever I'll be using to record with)

I think that my first step is to give the Olympus away :) and after that, to see if using the silver bullet makes any difference at all on the harp. When I"m done with those two steps, I'll certainly be here asking questions!

Anyway, it's good to meet you all -- thanks so much for the help you have (unknowingly) given me already!

Suzi

Greetings and Salivations Suzi!

:D

Good idea on starting small. I know this one guy :-)o) who was a big boobasaurus and jumped in with both feet, bought a bunch of gear he didn't know how to use and ended up selling a bunch of it at a loss cuz it sucked.

So maybe start with some Reaper, an interface and maybe look into a condenser mic for the harp.

Lots of reading for ya but better than wasting your money like some boob I know. :o

:laughings:

I know this one guy :-)o) who was a big boobasaurus and jumped in with both feet, bought a bunch of gear he didn't know how to use and ended up selling a bunch of it at a loss cuz it sucked.

So maybe start with some Reaper, an interface and maybe look into a condenser mic for the harp.

Lots of reading for ya but better than wasting your money like some boob I know. :o

:laughings:

Hey! I'm that one guy - what are you trying to say? I never did any of that...

Starting small...

- small budget???
- small parts list???
- small profile / miniature???

or all of the above?

Lots of options to be had. Zoom H1, H2, H4n and other field recorders are good starting points and meet most of those options. And keep using audacity to edit. If you need something for live gigs and other things, it could get a bit more complicated. And other compensating for a bad room options. You really wont know what you'll need until you get into it more. Just buy something that's not too pricey and can be resold at or near costs.

maybe a stupid question but what does XLR stand for? and how do i post a personal thread on here so it can be seen by more people??

maybe a stupid question but what does XLR stand for? and how do i post a personal thread on here so it can be seen by more people??

yeah, you should really start your own thread to ask questions instead of hijacking someone else's.

Good idea on starting small. I know this one guy () who was a big boobasaurus and jumped in with both feet, bought a bunch of gear he didn't know how to use and ended up selling a bunch of it at a loss cuz it sucked.

Lots of reading for ya but better than wasting your money like some boob I know.

This is so funny, I wonder how many folks out there thought you were talking about them! ouch!

Thanks, everyone for the warm welcome! I am starting to get some ideas here; I really appreciate the help in this forum!!

Starting small means basically all of the above - I'm a boobasaurus who has spent all of her money on instruments, so not much left to spend on recording gear. My projects are low stakes things - first I want to learn how to make a nicer than "I recorded this on my ipod, here, listen" recording of the harp for my classes, and after that, some short demos of the Irish band. We've been playing festivals and a few coffee houses, but want to branch out. The town we live in requires a demo to get any city-sponsored gigs. We can't even play for kiddies in the public library without a demo.

So I am starting to figure out what I need for the first little goal - recording the harp.

Fortunately, the silver bullet mic is a condensor. I'm too new to be able to post links, but here is the site: kksound.com/silverbullet DOT html
I also have the preamp with balanced xlr out. It works well for festivals.

Looks like the first thing I need is an audio interface, based on the very helpful post that Arcadeko made a few days ago, and I'll definitely download Reaper and compare with Audacity.

I'm wondering if I should get a second mic or go ahead and have a pickup installed in the harp. Lots of working harpists have pickups, which makes gigging TONS easier, but many others say that micing gives a more natural sound. But getting the interface and playing around with Audacity and Reaper are my definite first steps.

Thanks for getting me started. I will have plenty of questions! I don't know how many of you will ever have to work with a harp, but if you ever do, I hope that the things I learn both here and from other harpers can help you all 1/10 as much as you've already helped me!

OH - the name of our band is "The Strand." We're based in Phoenix. And what would be the advantage to a metal flute? Is that so I could use the flute as an extra cable connector, or something? :laughings:

This is so funny, I wonder how many folks out there thought you were talking about them! ouch!

I really didn't do that - but he started his post with "I know this one guy" and if you look under my name I am "That one guy" so it seemed Dogbreath was picking on me :)

Thanks for getting me started. I will have plenty of questions! I don't know how many of you will ever have to work with a harp, but if you ever do, I hope that the things I learn both here and from other harpers can help you all 1/10 as much as you've already helped me!

OH - the name of our band is "The Strand." We're based in Phoenix. And what would be the advantage to a metal flute? Is that so I could use the flute as an extra cable connector, or something? :laughings:

Ever listen to Andreas Vollenweider ? He's not Irish, but has some really good kinda new age harp music.

Back