HHB Radius 40

HHB Radius 40 or Avalon hire

• Radius is good enought. Then you'll have something you own

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Avalon far outstrips the Radius and will be worth the extra hire money

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

ColdAsh

This question kind of relates the the topic mic pres spend $200 or $2000. Heres my question, i already have an envioce and im thinking of getting the Radius to replace it as my number one choice. Can anyone tell me if theres going to be a huge difference? In 6 months or so when ive got a bit more knowledge, money and a drummer im going to be recording a demo/EP. I had planned on hiring and Avalon 737 SP for vocals, should i use some of the money from the radius and hire the avalon for a couple more days. The radius will mainly be for electric guitars, acoustic guitars (if they're in the background) and backing vocals. Will it be up to the task for something that needs to be atleast semi profesionals. Incase you need to know i'll be using the preamp with my delta omni studio.

Just to give you an idea of the prices of the two. Ive seen the Radius of special for about $1800 (US$900 ) and i can hire the Avalon for $240 (US$120) a week.

I think you might be confusing the HHB Radius with the HHB Classic line ... the Radius 40 should be more lik $600.

Tell me about the Radius 40? Is it good? .... I don't care though - Meek-hooked.

I have a Radius 10 (and a 5) and I like it. It's not in the same class as an Avalon but usable non the less.

Would they be well suited to recording professional sounding guitars since thats mainly what they'll be used for on the EP.

But would using the avalon make a noticable difference? Would it be enough of a difference to warrent using it instead of getting a Radius?

But would using the avalon make a noticable difference? Would it be enough of a difference to warrent using it instead of getting a Radius?
Any other preamps in this price range you think i should consider?

Hi Coldash,
It seems you don't really have much experience with the high-money gear. I'm not sure you would actually hear the difference without your entire recording environment and other equipment being up to the challenge. The gist I got from the many threads concerning expensive gear is: unless you've got your micing technique down, unless you have great acoustically improved rooms, unless your signal chain is clean, ... you won't benefit so much from such an expensive piece of gear.

On top of that, even if your ears really were able to hear the "Avalon" sound, I'm sure Sonusman would tell you that you might not even like that specific sound on those specific songs you're going to record ...

The 5051 should be good at supplementing your envoice .. or try a Joemeek VC1Qs for more flavor ...

Check out davisound preamps. The moderator of this forum swears by them and is even trading in his trident console for a custom built davisound. Some of their preamps are near your price range too. Check out www.davisound.com

We used the 5051 (what it's called over here in Europe) on our last demo. And it sounded pretty very good. It was a live recording with alot of gear involved, the 2 5051's were the only standalone mic pres. Don't remember the vocal mic, but it was REALLY clear. To bad that our drummer is also the singer and there was too much crosstalk. We had to redo the vocals at home with a C3000b cause it's my only 'condensor'...

But the 5051 is good. If I had alot of money, I'd have one of those already, and alot of other gear. Hmmmm.... Something tells me I'll never really have alot of money. Maybe alot of gear once, but money...

:confused:

I use the preamps and compressors in my studio. They sound great to my ears, well worth the money. I've got 2 5001 (4x preamp)and 2 5021's( 2x comps)

I've used the Radius 40 and 10 in recordings, actually I like the sound of them specially in a bass, and sometimes kick drums.

Back