hey

cwillu

Hey.... been a while (as usual)

Early mix of a song I'm recording with a band recently... it's pretty 'heavy shiznit', according to the band.... I'd define it as heavy metal or something myself.... but in any case, the link:

(the usual, right click and select 'save target' if it doesn't work)

Not done yet, a couple little sections left to be included and/or tweaked, but it's coming.... any feedback?

sparky_the_band@hotmail.com

cwillu

Last edited:
TO EVERYONE: You have to right click on the link and choose "save target as".

First impression of the song right off, very cool. Sounds like james brown morphing into system of a down at the beginning. I don't like the guitar intro, but it saves itself after a few seconds and the main riffs are cool. Don't like the verse vocals, but the screaming is KILLER...almost slipknot. If you could carry that anger through the entire song, I'd buy it.

Mix-wise, the distorted guitar is drowning the hell out of everything, including the vocals. The bass I can't hear well at all throughout the entire song. Most of the time all I can hear from the drums is the open hat. So I'd say the first thing you need to work on is just your basic levels.

I really think this has potential dude. If you decide to remix it, I look forward to hearing your future efforts.

Wait a sec, are you in this band? I guess if you're just recording this band then the comments about the actual song don't apply. Sorry if that's the case.

Slackmaster 2000

Long time no "C", dude.
I'm listening through headphones right now, I'll post some comments when I get to listen over my monitors...

Not a band song, I like the quiet clean parts that were mixed in. I agree with the above statement that the intro may need some work, but after that its very cool. Yup, it definitely could use more bass. Good job.

John

OK... I think the others are right about the distorted guitar drowning out a lot of the mix, however, I think there is plenty of bass & kick drum - they just seem to be stepping all over each other. perhaps separating the two with some EQ is in order. Also, I think the vocals could come up a bit. Overall, everything seems to be captured well - generally a good sound... just a few problem areas in the mix. I enjoyed listening to this tune.

thanks for the commentaries... Pretty much right on the money as far as my opinion goes.... now, to convince the band leader, any tips? :)

The drum mix is low. In this genre, the drums carry a song, especially a nice punchy kick and an out-front snare sound. The sounds are good, there's just not enough of them. Actually, the kick seems to be pretty much absent to me. Did you mike the drums with just overheads or room mics? I'm not being sarcastic at all, I think it sounds from the predominance of cymbals and the sound of the snare like this was the recording method... hey I've done it too when I was short of mics... Be sure to get a mic on the kick and the snare. Otherwise, the mix sounds pretty good. A little work on the bass eq to bring it out a little. Also, there's a little bit of sloppy timing right in the beginning. A good first mix though.

Back