Hey!

bdbdbucksKID

Hey!

This song didn't get very far on the MP3 site without getting bumped out by newer stuff, so...I am relying on my old Fostex buddies to give it a listen. I am working on the demo versions for these songs now. If you might recall, I am using a Fostex VF80 with no mixer...I have a cleaning lab software to nip off the ends, but that's it.

Trade Secrets might be a song about an obsessive lover or stalker, or it just might be something I wrote for the hell of it.

Please, have a listen. Now, granted, you might not be able to hear the lyrics very well...but considering that it was one of my first recordings, I don't think it's that bad. I figured I'd dig it up before I do the demo recording for contrast. You be the judge.

Check it out (while you're there, check out No Turnin Round)

http://www.nowhereradio.com/cerogers/singles

Smooches,
bdbdbuckskid

PS: check out my new website too if you like:

www.woodlandnymph.com

You've got some real talent, great vocal technique -- very impressive. I'd lower the guitar a bit, or raise the vocal track. Leave everything else. Thanks for posting.

Why not share what settings you used (Effects, etc...) While I'm not listening on the best PC speakers, this sounds like a great recording. Congratulations.

Bill Keane

Nice job and certainly a testament to the ability of art (talent) to shine through low-end equipment.

Are you using a compressor on the guitar? It's not bad but it almost sounds like an onboard Fostex compressor with the threshold set slightly too low. Maybe its the Mp3 encoding process or my laptop speakers or I'm just hearing things!

Ace...!

Had a listen to Trade Secrets, and even on my PC at work it sounded great. Nice acoustic sound, kind of intimate sounding if you know what I mean.

Well done - keep it up...!

Dave, thanks for signing my guestbook and giving the support. That guestbook hasn't seen many people, so I am glad you had enough interest to drop me a line.

Bill, thanks for the great compliment...I love to hear stuff like that. I am often hard on myself, so I'm glad to know I am doing something right.

Dave, thanks for the great compliment also. Not sure what you mean by "intimate" I would love to hear more about it ;)

My aim was to give it a maltshop ghost sound...if anyone follows. I have this great little melodic riff that might suggest a masterpiece theatre feel. Anyway, once again....thanks guys!

bdbdbucksKID said:
Bill, thanks for the great compliment...I love to hear stuff like that. I am often hard on myself, so I'm glad to know I am doing something right.

Actually, you're doing a lot right. But you still didn't tell us what your settings were! (EQ, EFFECTS).

alrighty!!!

Standard, in the bag Fostex effects:
No panning, went directly in the middle...Hall on master effect.
Brought up I believe the e-acousic effect, don't know exactly what is was called...but a good echo in there for the first track think I brought it up to like 30-35. Post resonance obviously.
Vocal, used Female Vocal effect brought it up to about 20-25 to get just enough resonance in there, borderline Mazzy on track 2.
Two tracks only...used a Fender Stratacoustic....which I have since given away because I hated it.
The ghastly sound that I love so much is just a basic Hall effect...of you've got a pre or a mixer you can use the old maltshop effect going in direct and then mess with the hall effect to your liking...I am sure most have it on preset. My major inflence on this sound was Siouxie and the Banshees.
Next step...I am going to lay down acoustic ryth (Taylor 314ce) on track 1
got plans for a running single note melody (Johnson double hum..el'cheapo) starting at the second verse. Going to insert the effects after the nakeds are to my liking this time...and not the other way around.
So, I hope that helps!!! Heck, maybe we can put together a new sound trend.

Great Job! You are definitely on the right track. I was wondering about your comment on the Stratacoustic though. What was the thing that bothered you about it? Was it a sound issue or more about playability? I was considering buying one eventually and would like to hear both Pros and Cons. Anyway I'm looking forward to hearing more of your music!

actually

I am a big fan of acoustic resonance. The stratacoutsic sounded fine plugged in, but horrible unplugged. You get the worst sound ever...intonation was smothered also. Gave to my brother.
Playabilty, no problems standard fretboard...but made from cheap materials. I would recommend not buying one. Save your cash and either purchase a semi hollowbody or an acoustic electric.

Although I've heard this tune before, I just couldn't pass up this opportunity to slam that Stratacoustic one more time! I will say you surprised me when I first heard it... the quality for a first timer was better than I expected. Though fathers are supposed to say this kind of thing about their daughters... I DO love your voice! We'll get it done up right, just be patient.

bdad

I had a feeling it was more about the resonance. It's no wonder they are so inexpensive. I didn't think there was much wood in them other than the neck. My student bought an Epiphone acoustic/electric and it has a surprisingly good sound plugged in or unplugged. I play more electric but really would like to have a nice acoustic around for capturing ideas. I like more of an electric feel to the neck and an unwound G string for soloing. Most I've played were a little to stiff feeling for me. Except for the Taylor my friend has of course! That's way more than I'd like to spend when I need to get more recording gear first.

Back