Hey Mods

fox hunting

Id have no problem with folks shooting foxes, its was dogs ripping them apart, while toffs on horses hoorah'd, that bothered me :)

Do people still do that? With the horns and the dogs and horses and red jackets and shit?

They should have to get down off the horse and kill the fox with their bare hands...

Mano e foxo

Do people still do that? With the horns and the dogs and horses and red jackets and shit?

They should have to get down off the horse and kill the fox with their bare hands...

Mano e foxo

yup...it was just recently banned but Im sure it still goes on...but back in the 80's it was pretty commonplace...the one we sab'd shut down after two years of intense sabbing every weekend. I only went a few times as it was a pacifist group, and Im not :)

I haven't done much fishing in the ocean. The only real options are fishing piers or boats. I spent a lot of time on the piers when I first got here and never had much success. I don't have a boat and I don't know anyone who has one. Eventually I'd like to get one- it'll just open things up for me.

I'm in the same boat, so to speak. I don't have one. Don't want one. However, you might want to talk to Greg about the possibility of getting a kayak. Although he gave me a lot of good information to point me in the right direction, I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I find the right combination of factors on the used market and i'm going to pick one up this year. Talk about opening up possibilities, working channels, some deeper water, grass, etc....not to mention avoiding crabbers, weekend warriors and families setting up right next to you and crossing your line constantly because they can't figure out how tide/current works.

I used to be a fresh water guy. But nothing beats saltwater. The variety alone will keep you coming back, 15 different species in a day is pretty cool. Although you can target one type of fish, of course. Size potential is pretty awesome, good eats as well. But take care, many have teeth! :eek:

What the fuck do people hunt foxes for anyway?

Historically it was how they trained both riders and packs to chase bigger prey. After a while it became "sport". Later it became an excuse for all the nobs to meet up in their range rovers and pretend they could ride. Also foxes were and are considered vermin and it was done to keep numbers down and keep them off the owners land.

I'm not in favour of fox hunting but since it was banned foxes have become a serious pest round where I live.

when I was a hunt saboteur back in the 80's there were fishing saboteurs too...only on rivers of course, the see might be a bit too big to stop the carnage ;)

How did you sabotage hunts? How did people sabotage fishing? I get your fox thing, that makes sense but why would people have a problem with fishermen?

An animal's cuteness is directly proportionate to how many people oppose it's death. Killing a fox is bad. Killing cockroaches is okay.

I think it has more to do with perceived threat than cuteness. Hunting foxes was originally okay because they were a pest. They are not much of a threat any more, nor baby seals or whales.

Killing cockroaches is okay on several levels: they are germ and disease carriers, they reproduce quickly, they are a pest, and most importantly, when we kill ourselves off with nuclear weapons they will likely become the predominant species...

If you could make cockroaches taste like chicken, would you eat them?

Let's solve a couple of problems at one time here.

How did you sabotage hunts? How did people sabotage fishing? I get your fox thing, that makes sense but why would people have a problem with fishermen?

sabotaging fox hunts involves laying trails with aniseed...its draws dogs away. We'd also use hunt horns to call the dogs, or try and get between the hunt and the cornered fox. The hardest part is when terrier men are sent in to dig foxes out...theyre just working class blokes and generally up for a fight, toffs not so much.

Sabotaging fishings a bit extreme...I think they get boats and go near angers on the banks and just generally scare fish away...theres some nutters out there

Historically it was how they trained both riders and packs to chase bigger prey. After a while it became "sport". Later it became an excuse for all the nobs to meet up in their range rovers and pretend they could ride. Also foxes were and are considered vermin and it was done to keep numbers down and keep them off the owners land.

I'm not in favour of fox hunting but since it was banned foxes have become a serious pest round where I live.

We have deer culls in Scotland..no one sabotages them, same if foxes are shot..was never a problem, they attack farm animals and affect peoples livelyhood. The objection was ripping them apart for sport. Our hunt, Stirling and Linlithgowshire, were so shit that more foxes were run over on the local roads that they ever got near...made sure of that

we'd also do a bit of armchair terrorism on the terrier men who generally lived in the city...many were on the brew and did the hunts for extra cash. We had a mate who worked for the DHSS and would pass over their details

An animal's cuteness is directly proportionate to how many people oppose it's death. Killing a fox is bad. Killing cockroaches is okay.

Cant remember the last time I even killed an insect...any I find in the house are either left alone or transported outside. I killed a cat two years ago in Malaysia...ran out in front of the car...it was massive, made a mess of, and on, the car :)

If you could make cockroaches taste like chicken, would you eat them?

Let's solve a couple of problems at one time here.

if cockroaches lived in the sea theyd be sold alongside shrimp and lobster...insects of the sea :)

I think it has more to do with perceived threat than cuteness. Hunting foxes was originally okay because they were a pest. They are not much of a threat any more, nor baby seals or whales.

Killing cockroaches is okay on several levels: they are germ and disease carriers, they reproduce quickly, they are a pest, and most importantly, when we kill ourselves off with nuclear weapons they will likely become the predominant species...

Foxes are a pest. Increasingly so since the hunting ban.

We have deer culls in Scotland..no one sabotages them, same if foxes are shot..was never a problem, they attack farm animals and affect peoples livelyhood. The objection was ripping them apart for sport. Our hunt, Stirling and Linlithgowshire, were so shit that more foxes were run over on the local roads that they ever got near...made sure of that

we'd also do a bit of armchair terrorism on the terrier men who generally lived in the city...many were on the brew and did the hunts for extra cash. We had a mate who worked for the DHSS and would pass over their details

Cant remember the last time I even killed an insect...any I find in the house are either left alone or transported outside. I killed a cat two years ago in Malaysia...ran out in front of the car...it was massive, made a mess of, and on, the car :)

We keep chickens and the foxes take an increasing number of them these days. Their population has increased massively and it's not just the numbers. They are becoming increasingly brave. I see them out doors in the day time right where the chicken run is just waiting, they have learned to open the wheelie bins and regularly turn em out. I'm all for live and let live and not in favour of animal suffering for no reason but here in Hertfordshire there is no cull because the farming is pretty much arable...

Back