Hey look what I found!

I had their site but no "buy it" button - shipping would be expensive anyway; I was amazed that the local shop that specialized in ONLY fasteners had never even HEARD of them... Steve

Ask them for "G" screws............. they'll know what those are.

At least that's what we called those 25 years ago in CA when I was hanging rock.

Yeah, that's what USG calls 'em - and "S" screws for steel, etc - still didn't mean anybody I talked to locally knew what they were... Steve

Yeah - being an A&P dude, you already know there's a specific type, size, etc, fastener for everything in the universe - Drywalling is no exception.

There are three main types of screws for drywall, but only two of them are very common. The type shown here is the third type.

For fastening drywall to wood frames, USG calls 'em Type W (for Wood) For fastening to Steel Studs, you guessed it - Type S - the ones in the pic are type G, as in Gypsum - they're used when you want to fasten a second layer of sheet rock to a base layer, but don't want the fasteners to contact the framing (this is mostly done with Wood framing) - You use these "laminating" screws, or Type G, or "G-screws" as the pro's call 'em, to do that.

The REASON you do that, is that sound will follow the fastener through the outer layer of sheet rock into the inner layer and on into the stud, then into the other side of the wall - it's been estimated that anywhere from 3 to 9 dB of isolation can be lost (partially dependent on frequency) just by driving regular sheet rock screws thru the second/third layer into the studs.

USing the G screws ALONGSIDE the studs, stops the path by not directly contacting the stud - the cavity insulation absorbs what little is conducted thru the air from the screw's inner end into the insulation.

There's more, but that's the SHORT version... Steve

Back