Hey, I'm fuckin' nuts too...a mixture of HRC's

Pedullist

Stop it, I can't breathe
OK SLuiCe, you've challenged me. And I'm the biggest fool on the board....

Eat this:

- I sang it a capella
- I covered myself but NOT IN MY NATIVE LANGUAGE! Noooooooooo, I sang it in english!
- I sang it for the first time in english (and the 3rd time ever, I still hate doing it)
- I did this in one and a half hour straight (half an hour got lost in making notes on the lyric sheet)
- (this has to be the funniest bit) I sang it with a severe cold and a mild headache (and extremely hurting fingers thanks to that fine basspart of yours)....this very noticable in the higher parts of my vocal range LOL
- and of course it's a dry mix

I couldn't help doing some harmony overdubs too, sorry. Too ashamed to hear just the lead vocal. O, and there's no fancy fadeout like on the record. It just simply stops... LOL :D

O god....what the hell am I doing? Gradually deserved some respect on the board, and now I do this!

Does it sound any good?

Well, I don't think so. But who am I?

Am I a complete nutcase?

Probably!

Shall I hit submit?

:rolleyes:

Yeah, let's just do that.

O, it's the song Over (Voorbij)

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2618&alid=732

Don't have time to listen 'cause I'm on my way to work but I am gonna download it real quick so it will do you no good to take it down. BWAAhahahahahahhahah:D:D:D

I love that downward slur on "caaaan't lie"/:)

Hey, this is really cool, Ped! Very streetcorner, doo-wop kinda thing. I love the way the harmonies slide in and out and provide some rhythm in the background.

Man, you've got something to be proud of here. Nice!

Chris

Oh hell......I can be late. Very good man....good harmonies man..........I'm impressed.....I've got to go now, I'll come back and gush later.

You wanna know why I like this? 'Cause it's raw musicianship. There's no hiding behind verbs and cacaphonous guitar wanking.
Very impressive - very creative - very nicely done. And done in one-and-a-half hours? I couldn't pull those harmonies off in a month. Fuckin' nuts? I don't think so. (well, ok, maybe a little, but that's only 'cause I read all your other posts)
Milan

An hour and a half? With a cold? In English? You suck!:D

The was sweet. I liked the arrangment too. By the way...

I could hear that cold. ;)...

which made it even more impressive. Nice work!:)

Thanks guys...check out that original too. I changed quite a lot. Yay for no chords! You can do ANYTHING harmonywise! :D

Pretty smooth. You have a nice voice. Harmonies were real silky. I think with a little reverb and a tighter performance or two you could come up with something that could stand on its own. Or at least pretty close. That's gotta be pretty hard to do.

Small syncing things, but I don't think that was your point here. I think you put it together pretty quickly. So that's understandable.

I have your cd in the car stereo, I'll have to dial this one up on the way home from work and listen again.

Cool.

<edit> what mic did you use for this?

Cooool stuff man!!!

This is nice for sure!! You sound comfortable in that range. I like that little falsetto back there.

Your accent gives you character. ...like that too.

Very nice man gw/5

What the hell we're you thinki-- ooops... uh, this is not about you... this is not
about me :D

Seriously... great stuff... when you sing "miiine"... there's your cold...

whoa... when you sing the word "honest" going major instead of minor...
beautiful... "here we go"... is there a hint of dobro's influence here?

5 ***** for the nice raisins :D

C

SLuiCe said:
Now I'm definitely pulling mine down!

Hey, mine are down right now... around the ankles! So this had the same effect on you too, Tom? :eek:

Gotta get ahold of a microphone now :eek:

groucho: thanks...ya, streetcorner, doo-wop kinda thing hehe, you're right. If I would take this 'cover' ever seriously I would retrack everything somewhat like the bridge to keep the beat pumping.

O, I should tell ya guys, I had serious trouble singing in english AND keeping the beat so I had a metronome ticking in the background for guidance (and even then I lost it lotsa bars). So I guess I'm disqualified for the challenge.

Lt. Bob: thanks!

MC Gitarz: cacaphonous guitar wanking? Man, I wish I could do that. Now I have to ask friends from Maine or Ypsilanti to do that ;)....(not a bad thing, btw)

Pedullist: shut up, pedantic showoff. You really like yourself don't ya? ;)

SLuiCe: nah, keep it up man. As far as I'm concerned, you're having the biggest balls here. Why? One is: you didn't use a metronome. And because your voice is expressive. I sing like.....eh.....an accountant, LOL Anyway, that's definitely another thing I'm currently learning from you, finding ways to sing more expressively I mean.

skids: thanks a lot, man!

TripleM: I guess I'll pick a new song to use this method for. This is nice and a very good experience, but I really hate singing in english. Plus, I can't play it to my friends because they all go 'thumbs down' for the bad pronunciation. You guys are much nicer to me than my friends, you know? :D Way too nice, perhaps. Btw, mic was a Stagg MCO-7BK (chinese ripoff of a Neuman, but a pretty good ripoff IMO)

Guernica: comfortable range? Haha, I just noticed I transposed it a half step down. I didn't realize I did that. On top of that: I changed the whole harmonic structure of the song in such a way that it stayed on the root all way through (the original modulates freely). This is btw, another reason why Tom's balls are bigger.

participant: singing with a cold is interesting. I kinda like the raspy sound. Thanks! And yes, I'm a big fan of Dobro. Why didn't you tell me earlier about using that influence? I was struggling with the instrumental part, and I could have done a mouth trumpet solo. Damn, lost chance!

Last edited:
:D :D :D

I'm not going to be any nicer to you than I was to Tom. I admire you guys for doing this stuff. But I saw the Nylons live front row center (free tickets). It completely killed my taste for a capella. But you both did a good job.

Funny thing is that I showed up at the Nylons in time for maybe the last three songs. No one moved into our front row center seats.

Pretty cool !!! I could definately tell you had a cold but I think it added a little flavor to the song. Very well done. I've been wanting to try something like this but since you did such a fine job I think I'll pass.

I can hear it now:

" Hey Rusty that was OK but Pedullist was a lot better" :D

See Ya
Dennis

excellent intonation! i like the harmonies very much.

you almost sound like you're from chicago with your 'dis is not about chyou' LOL.

Very cool stuff Ped. I'd love to hear this redone for serious.....without the cold!

So does this mean it's official? HRC #5 will be a capella? Guess I better get busy. And the rest of you wankers that haven't posted your HRC #4 yet better get busy too!

Twist

fprod south: :) I'm only glad it was the Nylons who killed your taste for a capella...and not us. LOL

rustyfingers: if you have it, lemme hear it. And you will get a nice adrenalin rush from posting it I promise, so post it man!

erichenryus: chicago? What can I say? I am a man who will fight for your honour....LOL :)

twist: I won't redo this, sorry. I'm currently working on a HRC#4 too. But I chose my own companion, so I guess it doesn't count. On the other hand: we're really working together on this one (I'm not doing just bass or anything like that) so perhaps HRC-master SLuiCe might agree it's a valid contribution to the challenge.

tight harmonies.. nice soft vocal sound... I like that..

so you just muted the music that you sang this to? :eek:

Back