Hey guitaris,t wanna help a drummer?

dreib

Ok you A-holes, set aside your jealousy that you cant move all 4 limbs at once and give me some advice on buying a guitar.

Im set on buying a epiphone les paul, and I don't really care what model as long as its the color I want and has a set neck. On my recent trip to GC I messed around with the Gibson les Pauls and the epiphone les pauls and while I know the dressings may be more high end on the Gibsons I sure as hell didn't feel a 1500 dollar difference.

So what should I look for in an epiphone ,and what am I gonna want to upgrade down the road besides the pick ups?

Thank you !

So what should I look for in an epiphone
All you have to do is like it, and that's it.

and what am I gonna want to upgrade down the road besides the pick ups?

Thank you !
Well as you already said, pickups would be good obviously. The nut might suck. Getting a good nut and a pro set up on it would be a good idea too probably. Other than that, the modern epis are pretty good guitars.

And I'm a drummer and a guitarist, so I'm not jealous of you. :D

Next time you go to the sore take your sticks and beat the hell out of the Gibson and then the Epiphone. That should help you decide.

All you have to do is like it, and that's it.

Well as you already said, pickups would be good obviously. The nut might suck. Getting a good nut and a pro set up on it would be a good idea too probably. Other than that, the modern epis are pretty good guitars.

And I'm a drummer and a guitarist, so I'm not jealous of you. :D

I think getting all fours to work together would make you an animal, wait that is usually what drummers are. :cool:

I think on electric, play action is pretty important. Then move to the upgrades. If the play action works, everything else can be changed out to suit you. Acoustic is to me more complex as sound is not upgradable and some might compromise sound for playability.

Yea Greg I know you do both well!

Ok whats a nut? The bridge or the string holder thingy on the head stock?

I figured a set up would be required, intonated etc..

Yea Greg I know you do both well!

Ok whats a nut? The bridge or the string holder thingy on the head stock?

I figured a set up would be required, intonated etc..

The nut is the little string guide piece at the end of the fretboard/headstock junction. Cheaper guitars usually have poorly cut junky nuts. It makes a difference. It seems to be particularly important on Gibson style headstocks. The sharp angle the G string takes after the nut can lead to lots of tuning stability problems.

Some of the finishes coming out on the Epiphone Les Paul's lately have been amazing:

02963g_20.jpeg

6936k6d_20.jpeg

Good luck. Hope you snag a winner. Make sure you try out a few guitars to get a reference for what you like.

Some of the finishes coming out on the Epiphone Les Paul's lately have been amazing:

02963g_20.jpeg

6936k6d_20.jpeg

Good luck. Hope you snag a winner. Make sure you try out a few guitars to get a reference for what you like.

That's sweet and what Im looking for color wise. Like I said when tryng out guitars, the epiphones felt good in my hands.
Im gonna pick one out next Friday, pretty stoked about it!!

Nothin' better than a new instrument. I am thinking of a mandolin. Anybody play one?

Nothin' better than a new instrument. I am thinking of a mandolin. Anybody play one?

I've got a cheap Washburn mando that my wife gave me. Don't go cheap. :facepalm: Guy last night at the open mic had a 101 year old Gibson F-style with an added internal piezo , sounded phenomenal.

Really play with a few.
I have a cheap one & it's OK but my fingers are too bent to make chord shapes on the really thin neck on mine so I'm restricted to single notes.
On the other hand the bridge on mine is a problem: I keep snapping strings before I get them up to tune. it's REALLY annoying & has resulted in the thing sitting unused for a year or two.

Replace the picups, replace the shitty toggle switch they put in epiphones and maybe replace the nut and it should be good to go.

Next time you go to the sore take your sticks and beat the hell out of the Gibson and then the Epiphone. That should help you decide.

Yeah, after the manager forces you to buy them both at full sticker, you can bring them both home and decide which to sell at a huge loss.

Back