Hey, EVEN, Please read this!

Keith L

In your response to my last topic (Software for Newbies), you suggested, in addition to N-Tracks, a wav editor such as GoldWave or CoolEdit. What's a wave editor? Does N-tracks not have a wav editor? Would the freebie software from Aardvark (as part of the Direct Pro 24/96) not have a wav editor? As you've probably guessed by now, I'm relatively clueless here! Thanks!!!!!

Hey Keith,

Im not EVEN but I can tell you what GoldWAV and CoolEdit do becouse I have them both. Both of these programs have demo versions that are free for download on the internet and dont take very long.

What they allow you to do is record a section of music. Then you can edit it in any number of ways. You can cut and paste things as accurate as is possible (I mean down to like the many thousandths of seconds), you can slow a recording down and keep the pitch or change the pitch or transpose it, you can add effects or different filters. One of the cool things you can do with it is record a sample of the kind of noise you want to get rid of in your recording (ie popping, hissing, hum) and tell the program to recognize that noise in your recording and remove it to a given extent.

theres also lots of limiter and compressor effects that let you physicaly change the compression graph thingy in any way thats needed. Its actually pretty handy.

Theres lots of other things I cant think of but if you dont have any high quality music editing programs these are pretty good.

Thanks, Dan! I assume then that N-Tracks does things that a wav editor does not, and visa versa? If so, then what exactly does N-Tracks do? Also, is there a software program which incorporates the functions of both?

Im actually not familiar with N-Tracks. I have the two Wavedit programs and you wanted to know what they do so I just thought of a little list.

From reading your first post on the subject and what EVEN said Im assuming youll want a good Wavediting program becouse N-Tracks doesnt have one or the editing it has isnt sufficiant.

Sorry for the delay, work, you know the deal. N-tracks is cool and user friendly as far as multi tracking goes. It lets you add layer upon layer of parts on top of each other. But the wav editing part simply directs you to an outside editor.
To explain briefly. when you record a part or a track it is in a form of file called wav. Just as letters or essays are saved as text (txt). Wav is just the file format that many music programs read. Just like you can edit the snot out of word files (text) by running spell check, cut and paste and all of that... a wav editor lets you fix up a music file. It tosses the wav up on the screen and gives you icons and buttons to "modify" it. some of the modifications would commonly be adjusting volume, adding effects (like chorus and compress) cutting parts out, or even inserting other wav files. The list of editing possibilities is growing daily. There are gobs of wav editors out there. Even the standard windows "sound recorder" is a bit of an editor. totally lame as far as what we are all shooting for, but just an example. Thats about it, N-tracks does not really edit, but is very cooperative as far as helping you open up a really decent editor of your choice. Hope this helped.

Thanks, Even. Your reply was worth the wait... If you ever need any investment advise, I'd be happy to reciprocate!!! Keith

Back